The PHILCO Phorum
noobie wow!!!! overwhelming. HELP - Printable Version

+- The PHILCO Phorum (https://philcoradio.com/phorum)
+-- Forum: Philco Radio Discussions (https://philcoradio.com/phorum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Philco Electronic Restoration (https://philcoradio.com/phorum/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: noobie wow!!!! overwhelming. HELP (/showthread.php?tid=13411)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: noobie wow!!!! overwhelming. HELP - laipplyken - 11-09-2015

(11-09-2015, 03:28 PM)OZ4 Wrote:  On the 80 rectifier measure the voltage from cathode to plate that's on the transformer #6 to #9  also measure from cathode to chassis ground. What are these voltages?

On the 80 tube there are 4 pin F-F (the larger  pins) and P-P (the smaller pins) I measured them in the chart before. (the P-P) is the plate to cathode) right? as for cathode to ground how do i measure that? I assume one of the smaller pins to ground and does it matter which one. Is this right. This is my first radio and I'm doing a lot of research but still way behind you all. Icon_angel

thanks ken

RE: noobie wow!!!! overwhelming. HELP - OZ4 - 11-09-2015

No P-P is plate to plate that should be an AC voltage. P-P in the transformer voltage chart.
On the 80 tube P-K would be from either one of the bigger pins to either one of the smaller pins and is a DC voltage.
From the drawing it shows the larger pins are the filament which is also the cathode. (that's K for cathode)
The voltage I would be interested in is across the #60 filter cap which is also the output of the power supply and is not in the chart.

RE: noobie wow!!!! overwhelming. HELP - laipplyken - 11-10-2015

OZ thank you I had read earlier about the cathode being in with the filaments sometimes and forgot. I ve been trying to figure out why I had 700 something readings.....P-K 348 or 355 depending on which pair you put together. I was wondering you said measure off the #60 which is a bakelite off the tone control is that a separate measurement? I tried to measure that and got a mild loud hum and a little smoke from #9 bakelite or #43 input transformer. not sure which one. #9 capacitor looks ok and feels ok. The ac volts on # 60 bake lite to tone control was like 1.5vac and dc was low mV. Another Question was 0n the chart for sg-K... 3 of the readings were supposed to be 80 and were way high... any suggestions there. Also to let you know my shadow meter is open...coil has a break some where. I'll try fixing it sometime also.

Thanks again
KEN

RE: noobie wow!!!! overwhelming. HELP - mikethedruid - 11-10-2015

Ken, there are a LOT of resources available on Nostalgia Air that may be of help to you in learning to repair antique radios. This is a link to an old NRI course on radio repair that may be of help top you, especially the parts on power supplies. http://www.nostalgiaair.org/References/Articles/nri/index.htm  . Best of luck.

RE: noobie wow!!!! overwhelming. HELP - OZ4 - 11-10-2015

We must be looking at different drawings. On the 18 code 124 drawing the #60 cap is part of the power supply. In any case it sounds like its working properly.

a little smoke from #9 bakelite or #43 input transformer does not sound good.

Again what drawing are you looking at?

(11-10-2015, 10:02 AM)OZ4 Wrote:  We must be looking at different drawings. On the 18 code 124 drawing the #60 cap is part of the power supply. In any case it sounds like its working properly.

a little smoke from #9 bakelite or #43 input transformer does not sound good.

Again what drawing are you looking at?

I am looking at the 18 code 121 which is a little different than the 124 Not much though. I have the 124 and I see where you were coming from. On mine it was#54 elect. cap. As for the smoke i cant find any thing. I m not sure if it was just warming up some wax. it hasn t done it since..... There wasn t a strong smell of burn with it and everything seems to stay cool. Did you have any ideas about the sg-k measuring high on the chart posted before.

Ken

(11-10-2015, 09:25 AM)mikethedruid Wrote:  Ken, there are a LOT of resources available on Nostalgia Air that may be of help to you in learning to repair antique radios. This is a link to an old NRI course on radio repair that may be of help top you, especially the parts on power supplies. http://www.nostalgiaair.org/References/Articles/nri/index.htm  . Best of luck.

Thanks for the link I'll take a look at it...some things are hard to find.

ken

On the 75 and the 6a7 tubes the P-K voltages are a balance between the bias voltage and the load resistor. There must be some bad resistor values related here.

First what are the bias voltages on these two tubes?

What readings are you talking about? ac measurements on k-p ? screen grid ? I'm new to this you'll have to explain. Sorry
what readings you want.

Mesure the DC voltage on the 75 the grid cap to ground

and the 6a7 Pin 5 to pin 6 the K cathode.

75 the grid cap (on top of the bulb) -1.49v........g1-k 16.1v

RE: noobie wow!!!! overwhelming. HELP - OZ4 - 11-11-2015

Can you post a better copy of the schematic? The one that's up now is mostly unreadable.

RE: noobie wow!!!! overwhelming. HELP - laipplyken - 11-16-2015

[Image: http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah182/laipplyken/philco%20pics/Screenshot%2011_zpsy486pbic.png]

I have a bad wirewound resister and wanted to know can you rewire them. How hard is it?

RE: noobie wow!!!! overwhelming. HELP - laipplyken - 11-18-2015

Where can you buy this wire wound resister? I got one response and he only had a 3500 ohms an a 3000 omhs that i could put in series....Not sure if it was the same kind though. I would like to keep the same look. Any one have any ideas?

RE: noobie wow!!!! overwhelming. HELP - klondike98 - 11-18-2015

The only place to get one that is a match in looks would be from another chassis. You can buy resistors with the appropriate wattage as replacements but they will look different. I see you put in a Wanted Ad so hopefully one will turn up.