The PHILCO Phorum
531 Questions - Printable Version

+- The PHILCO Phorum (https://philcoradio.com/phorum)
+-- Forum: Philco Radio Discussions (https://philcoradio.com/phorum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Philco Home Radios (https://philcoradio.com/phorum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: 531 Questions (/showthread.php?tid=10578)

531 Questions - krispaul - 09-23-2014

Hello all you fine Philco aficionados! I need some assistance/advice on a Philco radio. First, let me start by saying that I know nothing about these radios. My father, an experienced woodworker,  picked one up recently not because it was a radio but because the cabinet was in really nice condition. In trying to figure out what this radio is I happened to stumble onto this site. With the amazing wealth of information on this site I was able to determine that the radio he found looks to be a Model 531.  Based on everything I was able to find about the 531, this one looks to be completely intact, missing only the back cover, the electical plug (wire is still there) and perhaps one other component. The cabinet itself is in great condition with only a few minor nicks and scrapes.

Here are the questions that hopefully someone can provide a bit of insight into:

The label inside the cabinet has what appears to be an "E" handwritten in the Model No. field and the numbers "9186" handwritten in the serial number field. This label is next to a brass or tin plate stating Philco Neutrodyne Plus. The serial number is pretty straight-forward but does anyone have any idea what the "E" is for?

The radio tray itself still moves freely into and out of the cabinet however there are two hinges mounted to the curved edge pieces inside with nothing on the other ends of the hinges. Are these hinges standard equipment? Is there something that should be attached to them?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. I can provide pictures if necessary.

Thanks,
Kris

RE: 531 Questions - Jayce - 09-25-2014

I have one of these sets and can answer a few questions. Of course the first thing to tell you is: DON'T PLUG IT IN! That's the first rule of thumb with these old radios until they can be checked out properly. Those hinges acutally are original (mine has them as well) and are actually used as stops to keep you from accidentally pulling the chassis totally out the front! Basically, you would unplug the speaker wires, flip those hinges up, and then you can carefully pulle the chassis totally out from the front. The back on mine has holes so you can reach those hinges without pulling the back off.

RE: 531 Questions - klondike98 - 09-25-2014

Welcome to the Phorum!  You don't see that model show up very often and it seems you may have one in nice condition.  If you are primarily only interested in the cabinet, I and I expect most on this Phorum, would like to see you keep the radio and cabinet together even if you don't restore the radio. There are fewer and fewer of these each year.  If you do decide to restore the radio (if it needs it) you can get a nice set of schematics for only a few bucks from Chuck Schwark and people here are very willing to answer questions and point you in the right direction.  If the cabinet needs restoration, there are a number of threads in the Phorum on the materials originally used (primarily toning lacquers with clear gloss lacquer finish) and a number of folks here with more skills than I have that can advise on them.  

RE: 531 Questions - exray - 09-25-2014

E sometimes can indicate 'Export'. What country are you in?