The PHILCO Phorum
Philco 511 Restoration and Questions - Printable Version

+- The PHILCO Phorum (https://philcoradio.com/phorum)
+-- Forum: Philco Radio Discussions (https://philcoradio.com/phorum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Philco Electronic Restoration (https://philcoradio.com/phorum/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Philco 511 Restoration and Questions (/showthread.php?tid=13032)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Philco 511 Restoration and Questions - Philco281989 - 10-12-2015

Well I made a mistake before I ever completed the RC Couple.

There was no noise coming from the test speaker because I used enameled copper wire to connect it to the speaker post and didn't realize it was acting as an insulator instead of a conductor. The copper wire I used off the test speaker to the two speaker post is enameled dipped, no conductivity on the outside coating. What I fool I am to have just realized this!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As a result because of my mistake, could the 1st AF trans still be good? with that meg ohm reading?? Perhaps I will take away the RC-Couple and try the AF trans again.

I completed the RC Couple on the 1st A.F. Transformer. I double checked my work, everything is on properly. There is sound out of the test speaker. But it is just a cycle hum. No static, stations, or any other noise no matter how I manipulate the controls. I tested the R.F. Coils, all within just a few ohms, good. All the rest of the chokes test good. Could the set be way off on alignment to where it will not pick up any stations?

Jon

RE: Philco 511 Restoration and Questions - Radioroslyn - 10-12-2015

So do you have 90-100vdc on pin 2 of all of your #26 toobs???

Terry

RE: Philco 511 Restoration and Questions - Philco281989 - 10-12-2015

(10-12-2015, 06:21 AM)Radioroslyn Wrote:  So do you have 90-100vdc on pin 2 of all of your #26 toobs???

Terry

Yes exactly between 90-100 VDC on all the plates of the 26 tubes.  I am going to try and swap a few out, see if that does anything.

Jon

RE: Philco 511 Restoration and Questions - Radioroslyn - 10-12-2015

So what do you have on pin2 of the 27 tube and if you touch pin3 the set should give out with loud buzz. Check#20 for open should be about 2megs. After this you'll need to break out the signal generator.

Terry

RE: Philco 511 Restoration and Questions - Philco281989 - 10-13-2015

Just out of curiosity last night I injected the antenna into the 3rd RF stage grid. I picked up faint stations for the first time!

I injected the antenna into the 2nd RF stage grid. I picked up faint stations for the second time!

I injected the antenna into the 1st RF stage grid. NO STATIONS WERE PICKED UP.

So I was able to isolate the problem to the first stage. The antenna tuner coil tested good. I retraced my wiring around this location. ENDS UP, I HAD ONE SIDE OF A BYPASS CAP CONNECTED TO THE ANTENNA TUNER COIL, WHEN IT WAS SUPPOSE TO BE CONNECTED TO GROUND.

I disconnected and temporarily jumpered that side of the cap to ground and the set is now working just normal! What a fool I am, but I guess that is what trouble shooting is all about.

NOW, HOW TO ALIGHN THE SET?  I think this set is a Neutrodyne.

Jon

RE: Philco 511 Restoration and Questions - Ron Ramirez - 10-13-2015

(10-13-2015, 02:44 PM)Philco281989 Wrote:  NOW, HOW TO ALIGHN THE SET?

The procedure may be found here:
http://www.philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=14988

and, yes, it is a Neutrodyne. Neutrodyne-Plus, to be exact.

RE: Philco 511 Restoration and Questions - Philco281989 - 10-14-2015

Ron, thank you.

Jon

RE: Philco 511 Restoration and Questions - Philco281989 - 10-20-2015

Hello All,

Wanted to give a final update.  The radio was just about right on with alignment.  I decided not to neutralize the set as it has been playing great for over 10 hours within a couple of days.  No oscillation, howling, or anything.

For a 1928 set, she sounds pretty good.  I retraced the wiring one last time and made sure all tubes were in their correct sockets.   The Heathkit T-2 is the test speaker I had on hand with a universal output transformer.  It worked great.  The owner has the proper speaker or has a different one to use with the set.

Thank you all for the help you provided on this restoration.  It's complete!

Jon

RE: Philco 511 Restoration and Questions - philco phan - 07-13-2017

Nice work on this 511,it will help when I get to the 514 I just bought.
Phil

RE: Philco 511 Restoration and Questions - Jimmy Radionut - 07-14-2017

Did you restuff the cap block ??