The PHILCO Phorum
Proper Model 21 chassis mtg. - Printable Version

+- The PHILCO Phorum (https://philcoradio.com/phorum)
+-- Forum: Philco Radio Discussions (https://philcoradio.com/phorum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Philco Cabinet Restoration (https://philcoradio.com/phorum/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Proper Model 21 chassis mtg. (/showthread.php?tid=14107)

Proper Model 21 chassis mtg. - Tubesforme - 02-22-2016

I have restored a Philco Model 21 radio. The original cabinet was beyond repair. I had a replacement cabinet made by one of the phorum members. It is a perfect match to the original. My question is this. I am having trouble lining up the tuning dial and control shafts, with their front panel holes, if I just bolt the chassis to the cabinet bottom. I am wondering if anyone knows if these receivers originally used rubber or urethane chassis mounting washers. It looks like I should be using 7/8" diameter by 1/4" thick chassis mounting washers, but can't find any info on this subject. This is my first Philco 20/21 restoration.

I ask because I did have two small pieces of hard rubber that are a little over 1/8" thick, which I placed under the front corners of the chassis and everything lines up, however the chassis tilts back. Remember this chassis has only three mounting points. Thanks everyone.

RE: Proper Model 21 chassis mtg. - klondike98 - 02-27-2016

I'm not sure what might have been originally there but rubber washers were used in a number of Philco radio mounts.  Renovated radios has a nice selection in the Chassis Mounts section.  If that's what is needed to line up the shafts, I wouldn't hesitate to use them.  One under each of the three mounts should keep it level.

RE: Proper Model 21 chassis mtg. - GarySP - 02-27-2016

My model 20 did not have any bushings when I disassembled it.  I don't think the 21 was much different chassis-wise. Shim it with the hard rubber washers if that's what it takes to align it to the cabinet.  None of us are going to come down on you for it.  I for one believe in the "whatever makes it work and not look obvious" approach.  Take care, Gary

RE: Proper Model 21 chassis mtg. - Tubesforme - 03-01-2016

(02-27-2016, 07:41 AM)klondike98 Wrote:  I'm not sure what might have been originally there but rubber washers were used in a number of Philco radio mounts.  Renovated radios has a nice selection in the Chassis Mounts section.  If that's what is needed to line up the shafts, I wouldn't hesitate to use them.  One under each of the three mounts should keep it level.

Thanks, I had ordered the 1/8" chassis mount washers from Ed and while waiting for them to arrive decided if anyone knew something I didn't and I know there are many great restorers, out there! Thank you.

RE: Proper Model 21 chassis mtg. - Tubesforme - 03-01-2016

(02-27-2016, 02:50 PM)GarySP Wrote:  My model 20 did not have any bushings when I disassembled it.  I don't think the 21 was much different chassis-wise. Shim it with the hard rubber washers if that's what it takes to align it to the cabinet.  None of us are going to come down on you for it.  I for one believe in the "whatever makes it work and not look obvious" approach.  Take care, Gary

I agree, I know that I had never before seen a model 20 that used the washers, but my 21 did need a 1/8" lift to align the shafts properly. Thanks Gary.