The PHILCO Phorum
Philco 48-1000 TV - Printable Version

+- The PHILCO Phorum (https://philcoradio.com/phorum)
+-- Forum: Philco Radio Discussions (https://philcoradio.com/phorum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Philco Television (https://philcoradio.com/phorum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Philco 48-1000 TV (/showthread.php?tid=15588)

Pages: 1 2

Philco 48-1000 TV - sdyer - 10-25-2016

Hello.  I am working on turning this:

back into this:

See my thread at AntiqueRadios on the electronics restoration here:
http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=269342
I am now working on restoring the cabinet.  First I'm working on restoring the structure, then I'll work on the finish.  I'll post more pictures of it soon - feel free to comment if you have any advice.

Questions:
- is the veneer mahogany or walnut?  I need to order some for the damaged sides.
- Is it stained or is toned lacquer used?
- If toned lacquer, what color(s)?
- was the finish originally gloss or semi-gloss lacquer?
- for the black on the bottom - is that black lacquer paint, or black toned lacquer?

Thank you for any help you can give.

RE: Philco 48-1000 TV - klondike98 - 10-25-2016

Welcome to the Phorum!
Icon_wave

I moved this to the TV section. 

RE: Philco 48-1000 TV - Arran - 10-26-2016

No stain, toned or tinted lacquer was used, if the bottom was black, and not extra dark walnut tone spary, then black lacquer paint will be fine. I should point out something though, there is tinted lacquer and there is toner, tinted lacquer is what you want on the veneer and that frame around the picture tube, toner is more opaque. Before any of that goes on the grain will need to be filled with a filler, especially if it is mahogany which is very open grained, although you would still need to do so with walnut veneer as well. The original finish was top coated with gloss lacquer that was then rubbed out after being allowed to cure for a certain length of time. I don't know what species of veneer these sets used but it does look like a mahogany, scape the finish off one of the old pieces and wet it to see what the grain and colour is like, if in doubt photograph it and post it here.
Regards
Arran

RE: Philco 48-1000 TV - sdyer - 10-27-2016

Thanks Arran. I'm getting familiar with such things as tinted/toned lacquer and grain filler. I'm working on an old wooden radio to practice - you can read about it here: Sentinel 203UL Restoration
I have some Mohawk toned lacquer I'm using on it.

I'm still working to *definitively* know whether the TV cabinet is mahogany or walnut. Once I know I can order veneer for the water damaged top and sides.
In most pictures the 48-1000 has a reddish/amberish glow. Do you have any idea what tone or tones may have been used? Red mahogany maybe?

RE: Philco 48-1000 TV - Arran - 10-28-2016

(10-27-2016, 08:41 PM)sdyer Wrote:  Thanks Arran.  I'm getting familiar with such things as tinted/toned lacquer and grain filler.  I'm working on an old wooden radio to practice - you can read about it here: Sentinel 203UL Restoration
I have some Mohawk toned lacquer I'm using on it.

I'm still working to *definitively* know whether the TV cabinet is mahogany or walnut.  Once I know I can order veneer for the water damaged top and sides.
In most pictures the 48-1000 has a reddish/amberish glow.  Do you have any idea what tone or tones may have been used?  Red mahogany maybe?

It may have been brown rather then red mahogany, if the cabinet was mahogany to start with. I have a 1949-50 G.E TV which I think used some form of mahogany, which was finished in a similar way to the Philco in the lower picture, but the only exposed wood, with no finish, is on the top which has something sitting on it at the moment. If it's a mahogany it's plain cut, it isn't ribbon mahogany with the alternating dark and light stripes.
  In looking at the above picture of your 48-1000 it looks like it was badly water damaged which means that it will probably have to be dismantled and some of the cabinet parts will have to be replaced. Maybe you will be lucky enough to be able to glue the delaminated layers back together, and flatten them out, but if not see if you can get some help from someone with a lot of cabinet or furniture making experience. Baltic birch seems to be a good material for radio and early TV cabinet construction, it's made up of thin layers of birch veneer and the overall thicknesses seem to be very close to the hardwood plywoods they used to use, like 1/4'' is 1/4'' and so on, not something like 7/32''.
Regards
Arran

RE: Philco 48-1000 TV - sdyer - 10-28-2016

Here are some "before" pictures of the cabinet.  It was on my aunt's garage floor in Los Angeles for over 40 years.  It is now in my basement in Massachusetts where I'm working on it.

One more before pic (is there a limit of 5 attachments?  I couldn't add this to the previous post.)

I have been "relaminating" the water-damaged wood.  I inject wood glue and then clamp overnight.  I also have some wood hardener that I may put on some of it.  Once the wood panels are solid I will fill the stripped screw holes with putty/woodbits/glue or some such and re-drill/screw them.  At that point it should have its structural integrity back.  After that it's veneer and finishing.  In the first and last pictures below you can see how the bottom panel is glued together now and intact, compared to the before photos above.

RE: Philco 48-1000 TV - sdyer - 10-29-2016

I'm thinking of Mohawk brown mahogany (the middle color on my test board), perhaps with some clear/amber lacquer over that. The pictures I have of it, like the reference pic in the post above, show a redish/orangish finish. I think the brown mahogany/amber combo would get close. Do you think that would replicate the original finish color?

RE: Philco 48-1000 TV - sdyer - 10-29-2016

I'm still trying to determine whether the external veneer is mahogany or walnut.  The only definitive reference I've found is at tvhistory.tv, which says "Mahogany".  But other people online have suggested - not specified, suggested - that it may be walnut.
--> If anyone has *definitive* information on the veneer, I would greatly love to hear it.

RE: Philco 48-1000 TV - sdyer - 11-03-2016

I've ordered Mahogany veneer.  The plan is:
- Mohawk brown mahogany toned lacquer
- Amber lacquer over that
- base of tv black lacquer paint, gloss
- clear lacquer over everything

QUESTION:  for polishing and such, I've heard that a gloss lacquer finish can be "rubbed out" so that it is nice and deep and original looking, not highly glossy.  Is that what "Deluxing Compunt", like from Behlen is for?  How do you rub out the finish so that it is rich and warm and doesn't scream "i've just been refinished", and isn't full on mirror glossy?

Another question - is minwax spray gloss lacquer good for the gloss coats (to seal before toned lacquer, then after the toned and amber lacquer to seal the whole thing up)? Or should I use Deft or a different brand? Which lacquer to you prefer?

Here is a good view of the wood grain and finish (what's left of it) on the one good side of the cabinet.  Does it look like Mahogany?  I my brown mahogany toned lacquer + amber lacquer plan a likely match?

RE: Philco 48-1000 TV - Arran - 11-04-2016

Yes, I think it is a mahogany, I'm not sure what cut it is on that side though, crotch maybe? The other stuff looks like it's plain cut rather then quarter cut. It's not a walnut though, but I'm also not sure which species of mahogany it is, Honduras possibly, Brazilian maybe. Look up the various species of mahogany and see which one is closest, Constantine's used to have a gallery of different woods, if they don't someone else will. You might need to pick up some maple veneer for a underlying layer for parts of the cabinet as I can see that it's missing from some spots, the grain normally runs in the opposite direction of whatever is on top.
Regards
Arran

RE: Philco 48-1000 TV - sdyer - 11-05-2016

Thanks Arran. I did get maple for the underlying layers of veneer, for the sides that are missing it.

I am getting different answers from different people on the final, top-layer, 1/32 veneer. Some swear it is mahogany, some swear that it is walnut, burled maybe.

How can I be absolutely sure? Who, or what resource, could I consult?