The PHILCO Phorum
Philco 70 cathedral knobs - Printable Version

+- The PHILCO Phorum (https://philcoradio.com/phorum)
+-- Forum: Philco Radio Discussions (https://philcoradio.com/phorum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Philco Home Radios (https://philcoradio.com/phorum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Philco 70 cathedral knobs (/showthread.php?tid=16459)

Pages: 1 2

Philco 70 cathedral knobs - SteveG - 03-29-2017

I just bought a super nice original finish Philco Model 70 cathedral. It even has the copper Mershon capacitors in place. There are two small knobs, a large flowered knob and a later 30's Philco knob on it now. Should it have three small fancy knobs and one large one or what?
Steve

RE: Philco 70 cathedral knobs - OldRestorer - 03-29-2017

Haha, This question come up a lot...
Unfortunately I dont remember, lol..
I have all the types if you need any...

Icon_smile

RE: Philco 70 cathedral knobs - Ron Ramirez - 03-29-2017

It depends on which version of the 70 you have - early or late.

Early versions (below S/N B22000) use three of the small rosette knobs on the three lower shafts, and a medium rosette on the tuning shaft.

Late versions (above S/N B22000, these use 35/51 tubes and do not have a separate 27 oscillator tube) use a large rosette on the tuning shaft, two medium rosettes on the tone and volume shafts, and a small rosette on the off-on switch shaft.

This has been argued about, disagreed upon, etc. many times over the years, but Philco's own documentation bears this out. So, I go along with the Philco documentation.

"You don't have to agree with me - you have every right to be wrong if you want to be." - Rev. Lowell Mason, RIP

RE: Philco 70 cathedral knobs - SteveG - 03-29-2017

Kirk and Ron,
Thanks for the input. I have to wait now, until it arrives, to determine the serial number. Will advise, upon its arrival next week. I'm hoping to find a nicer tube shield with a full decal and it looks like the dial face may be faded a bit, so I'll look for an original to replace that too.
Steve

RE: Philco 70 cathedral knobs - morzh - 03-30-2017

And a good thing is, I guess, that from the outside there is no appreciable difference between the old and new versions (it's an arcane knowledge, if there is anything to know; I know there is a difference in the way the grill latticework is routed along the edges but I am not even sure this is the difference in question) so either set of knobs, early or late, will look right.

RE: Philco 70 cathedral knobs - Ron Ramirez - 03-30-2017

It may look right to those who do not know, but that doesn't make it right. I want my early 70 to look the way it did when it left the factory, so it has three small rosette knobs plus a medium rosette for tuning.

One could use 1935 Philco hex knobs, or even RCA or Brand Z knobs. It wouldn't look right but it would be functional. (Actually you couldn't use RCA knobs as many of those required a half-flatted shaft and the Philco shafts were 1/4 flatted.)

RE: Philco 70 cathedral knobs - SteveG - 03-30-2017

I appreciate what Mike says, but I'm kinda particular about my stuff too. If I can make it right, that's where I'm headed...

RE: Philco 70 cathedral knobs - Ron Ramirez - 03-30-2017

Good for you! Icon_thumbup

RE: Philco 70 cathedral knobs - SteveG - 04-05-2017

Well, I got the radio yesterday and the serial # is 652376 so it's a late version. How late is this?

RE: Philco 70 cathedral knobs - simplex1040 - 04-05-2017

I am working on a "later" version and the Switch has a tiny knob , volume has rosette and tone has rosette and tuning has a bigger rosette knob.

RE: Philco 70 cathedral knobs - Ron Ramirez - 04-06-2017

(04-05-2017, 07:33 PM)SteveG Wrote:  ...and the serial # is 652376 so it's a late version.

Actually, it is still an early version.

Late versions have serial numbers above S/N B22000.

Let's examine that in detail.

When Philco's serial numbers made it to 999999, instead of starting over or adding a seventh digit, the next number became A00000. When they got to A99999 the next number was B00000.

So...according to Philco's documentation...any 70 chassis with a S/N above B22000 was supposed to be a late version. S/Ns below B22000 were early versions.

RE: Philco 70 cathedral knobs - SteveG - 04-06-2017

Ron,
Thanks for that clarification. Luckily, I have all the knobs for that version!

RE: Philco 70 cathedral knobs - simplex1040 - 04-06-2017

This thing sounds good once I "fixed" what someone else fixed.....

RE: Philco 70 cathedral knobs - Ron Ramirez - 04-07-2017

Don't they always... Icon_smile

RE: Philco 70 cathedral knobs - gregb - 04-07-2017

(04-06-2017, 09:43 PM)simplex1040 Wrote:  This thing sounds good once I "fixed" what someone else fixed.....

Never a truer statement, I can't believe how bad some repair work from the past was and how rare I see examples of good work.

Gregb