The PHILCO Phorum
Lucky day, majestic 1250 find - Printable Version

+- The PHILCO Phorum (https://philcoradio.com/phorum)
+-- Forum: Various and Sundry Categories (https://philcoradio.com/phorum/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Forum: Other Radios (Non-Philco) (https://philcoradio.com/phorum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Lucky day, majestic 1250 find (/showthread.php?tid=17170)

Pages: 1 2

Lucky day, majestic 1250 find - Fred Taylor - 08-21-2017

They keep coming, found this on craigs list Saturday for a low price. Had my nefew pick it up for me because it was to far for me to drive and get. He lives in the city where it was being sold and hes coming up to Dallas for labor day weekend. A win win for me. Sure a hard set to find and very respected in the radio community. I will post restoration updates when I start on it, the only bummer is it,s missing the 15" speaker. I will post in want adds WTB 15" field coil speaker

RE: Lucky day, majestic 1250 find - WallaceRoger - 08-21-2017

That's a beauty! I like that butcher-block face, very distinctive.

RE: Lucky day, majestic 1250 find - Scott D - 08-21-2017

Very, very nice!

RE: Lucky day, majestic 1250 find - Fred Taylor - 10-17-2017

Cant stay long have to get to work, started the cabinet on the Majestic 1250, the veneer was shot on the top, seemed like some oily stuff soaked in the veneer, could not sand it and it was peeling, I just went ahead and totally re veneered the whole cabinet. Also the bottom had to be removed and reglued and screwed back together. It,s coming along and found a speaker that is almost an exact match. This was a big job but is worth it being a very hard to find and rare set.

RE: Lucky day, majestic 1250 find - Fred Taylor - 10-17-2017

Few more pics

RE: Lucky day, majestic 1250 find - WallaceRoger - 10-17-2017

Coming along nicely!

RE: Lucky day, majestic 1250 find - morzh - 10-17-2017

That Majestic is gonna be, well, majestic.
Very imposing radio.

RE: Lucky day, majestic 1250 find - Eliot Ness - 10-17-2017

That will be beautiful Fred!

The grille reminds me of a Zenith Stratosphere.

RE: Lucky day, majestic 1250 find - Fred Taylor - 10-18-2017

[attachment=14514]The center area of the top section had sun down though necessary  to fill and level out before the veneer was glued down, the inside of cabinet was filthy and to make it right before painting dark blue I went ahead and lightly bead blasted the crap off , now I have fresh wood to paint on. I am using a new veneer glue called Heatlock and I am liking the results very much. This cabinet deserves the best because these are very hard to come by, and I know how to repair it right. this one will stay In my collection when finished. This weekend I'm hoping to finish the cabinet. I have customer radios that I need to work on as well.

RE: Lucky day, majestic 1250 find - KCMike - 10-18-2017

Very nice job Fred. Icon_thumbup I've been reading about the Heat lock glue since getting ready to replace the top veneer on a Zenith model 861.

RE: Lucky day, majestic 1250 find - Fred Taylor - 10-18-2017

Coming along nicely, this sure will be a stunning radio when finished.

RE: Lucky day, majestic 1250 find - PhilcoJohn - 10-19-2017

You picked the right word! STUNNING! wow I love the cabinet. I also love the dial. Turn it on and light it up when its complete. As always GREAT work!   Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup

RE: Lucky day, majestic 1250 find - Joe Rossi - 10-19-2017

Beautiful, a work of art. You are a very talented man!

RE: Lucky day, majestic 1250 find - Fred Taylor - 10-20-2017

Thanks Joe for the compliments , the picture of the airplane for your username icon, sure look,s like a North American P-64. Is that what is Joe?

RE: Lucky day, majestic 1250 find - Fred Taylor - 10-23-2017

Finished the cabinet this weekend , and will now work on the chassis.