Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

philco 37-11

i just picked this up,a local freebie,even said please take it!
who can explain magnetic tuning to me? there is a knob on front to engage/disengage. what is magnetic tuning????
phil

Read this treatise at Chuck's site. It explains the 1937-38 Philco automatic tuning system. Chuck also has a separate page dealing exclusively with Magnetic Tuning.

In a nutshell, Philco's first attempts at automatic tuning suffered from the inaccuracies of a mechanical system, so "Magnetic Tuning" (in reality, automatic frequency control or AFC) was added to the mix to keep the preset stations, as well as any strong station tuned in on the dial, on-frequency.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

thanks ron,i just found it myself on chuck's site,nice grab,eh!
phil

Thanks, Phil, for asking the question that I should have asked a long time ago about Magnetic Tuning. I have a 37-116 that is patiently waiting for me to get busy on it, and I didn't have a clue about the fancy tuning feature.

Thank you too, Ron, for providing the background info and the links to the Web pages. What a treasure trove! I am so glad to get this information. Now maybe I'll get up my courage to begin working on this beautiful old set.

Jim