Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Weller pencil iron

I picked up this little Weller iron a couple of yrs ago and I really like it as it has three led lamps on it. The light makes it very handy to use. But as time marches on the tip was getting shorter and shorter. Couldn't find a model # for the iron and didn't want to pay 4 or 5 bucks for a tip that doesn't fit.
So did a little measuring and found that the tip threaded to fit a 10-24 hole. Had the proper die but had to catch a ride to  the hardware to get some solid copper wire.The fellow manning the wire section at the HD is a ham that use to be a member of the ham club I was going to back it the lat 80's. We had a few yucks abt the club and such. Found some copper that looked good for the size and off we went. Got home threaded it, used a dremel the shape and it's back in service. Now I can get started on the 116X.

Attached Files Image(s)

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

You da man Terry!
Icon_thumbup

The key to using the retractable tip iron is to take it out regularly and lightly clean of the oxidation, else it will get stuck. Especially the one with thread on it.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Didn't have any trouble getting out it unscrewed easily. But flux in the solder was eating up the copper(after 3 or4yrs). I had read that cheap folks would not reshape the tip by filing or grinding but would beat it w/a hammer thus saving the copper. But you can only beat it so much.
I tried a 10-24 steel and brass machine screws but too much heat lost. Don't conduct heat as well as copper.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

There's a reason for the copper to be the material for the tips. Certainly not steel.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Ahh you cheapo  Icon_cool

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

I have my reasons... [Image: http://philcoradio.com/phorum/images/smi...lleyes.gif]

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Nice pics Terry.  I also have a similar Weller with the three Led's.  I lost the little set screw but shorten one I bought at Home Depot.  Nice job with the Tap &Die.  I see you take care of your tools.  I have a radial arm saw that dates back to the early 80's and still cuts very good. My first power tool was a B&D corded 3/8' drill which I still have from 1975.

I like old tools as long as they work well. I trash pick a '57 Craftsman table saw from a neighbors house many years ago. It broken and thought I might have to fab some parts ( two banana shaped pieces that allow the blade to pivot). Much to my surprise these pot metal parts were still available some 45yrs later. So for abt $40 worth of parts I was up and running. Here's a pic of one like it that I found on the net. Mine is in a shed and can't get to it. [Image: http://philcoradio.com/phorum/images/smi...on_sad.gif]
Used it a lot to make shelves for all of these darn radios!

Attached Files Image(s)

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

I googled the Weller iron with the lights and that iron is still stocked in a variety of wattages .Tips too.
 It looks interesting I may order one. Check Test Equipment Depot. They carry the entire Weller line.
                                              Henry

I think that next spring, I'm going to start watching local auctions for a nice used Craftsman table saw. I think I would like to try my hand at making a few tuner/receiver cabinets, among other things.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Good job on making the tip! Me thinks I should do the same thanks for the info.

Terry, my dad had a table saw just like yours, except his was on an old gray stand with wheels on the bottom. Top was the same, though. He tossed it when they moved away after he retired, that always kind of bummed me out. It had been my grandfathers at one time and it worked fine.

Greg

"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us."

them old ones are soo,,,well built,,,,not ,,tiny like new ones

Terry,
i put a pistol grip on that very solder iron which i have.

i took out the original tip because i didnt like how short it was.
i did the same thing, threaded solid copper and all is well.

i did a mod on mine to store spare tips... just tape them to the side of the iron and thats where they live till i need them later on down the line.