Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 86 restoration

Tonight I put the radio back to the cabinet for the second time.
This time it sounds very nice, the distortion caused by hum is all but gone, and so is the hum itself, for the most part, just a little of it remains, even in the cabinet.
Rich sound with lots of base, the music over the Jersey shore oldies is exactly the one needed to appreciate that.
Not your Philco 38-690, but then no one expect it to be. And it is 1929. And the sound's very nice.

Well, the capacitors can is still out, will have to install it later when it is cleaned up.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

lets ,, SEE,,, I only know of a station out of Barneget 91.9 FM,,,,A lot of 30 and 40's music,,,,don't know anything on AM ,,BUT,,92.1 ,,,out of Vineland,,,Oldie's 50's and 60's

1160 AM, Jersey Shore.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

[Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORg9t9bwgMQ&t=2s]

Demo of the local station and across the dial reception.

This is the radio.

Mike ;
  It sounds quite good, given that the undoubtable limitations of the camera microphone and the computer speakers I am listening to. It's sort of odd that they don't play more 1930s and 40s music on the AM broadcast band, much as I like that stuff it's a complete waste of bandwidth to play it over FM, and it's all mono anyhow.
Regards
Arran

Arran,

Actually, the cam mike is quite good, I was surprised when I listened to the videos with 37-690 I filmed with the same camera (it is a hi-end SLR Canon) when listened to the videos with a pair of good ear buds.
I also noticed the sound quality becomes just a tad better when using an actual antenna or myself holding the antenna terminal instead of using the Mains' Hot as the antenna (which is what this radio is designed to do, the Hot is run through a 10nF cap to a terminal near the antenna terminal; I used a Y-sfety cap for it), though not by a large margin.

The station plays various mixes; sometimes the theme is 40-s, sometimes 50-s, sometimes 60-s, sometimes disco era, sometimes rock-n-roll. Anything from Bing Crosby and Andrews sisters to Jim Croce and Beach Boys.