Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Got a Philco 50-1724

I won this radio/cabinet at an auction this past weekend, trying to find out a few things about it. First, let me be honest, I paid a dollar for it. I would like to know a few things. First, the wires are brittle, with a lot of exposed wiring on the power, so I don't even know if it works. Can I replace wiring without ruining any potential worth it may have?

Also, you can see in the pictures, the front is beautiful. Rough, but I can see true beauty potential. When restoring one of these, would I sand it down, and stain it? The top veneer needs replaced of course.

My final question is, is it worth restoring? Is this radio a dime a dozen that I can never get rid of, or is it something that once I restore it, I should be able to make a few bucks? I have restored old T.V.'s, cabinets, desks, etc, but have never worked on a old radio. However, after working on aircraft for many years, and again, T.V.'s, I should be able to handle this job, but only if it is worth it. I wish I had room for one of these to sit in, but I have a 2 bedroom and a workshop, LOL. Let me know what your thoughts are please!

You can find the photos on Google Docs here: Philco 50-1724

Messages In This Thread
Got a Philco 50-1724 - by Rocco81b - 09-16-2015, 09:47 PM
RE: Got a Philco 50-1724 - by Radioroslyn - 09-17-2015, 09:29 AM
RE: Got a Philco 50-1724 - by klondike98 - 09-17-2015, 10:22 AM