Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Heathkit VTVM

Fixed did?

Warren I have a old radio shack Hatitachi(sp) VTVM from around 1968 which I purchased new. Ok I am getting old! When new would take around 15 minutes of warm up before you could trust the readings. Recap a few years ago check resistors still takes a good 15 minutes warm up. David

Codefox .. No, its not fixed yet.. my work doesnt allow me much time to do these things, but hopefully I will try these things soon. I am also ordering new caps and resistors to recap it. I will let you know what I find soon.. Thanks for wondering.

A lot of the resistors should be precision wire wound, not needing replacement.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

I would say your V2 is not conducting based on what you have described.

I would clean the pins of the socket V2. Make sure the pins 1,6 have connection to the D1 and R29, and C6

I would check D1 and all resistors common to both sides of the V2 : R23 - R30

If I found no problems I would insure the transformer is putting out 120VAC not connected to the circuit.

Then I would start looking at and around M1.

Thanks for everyones suggestions.. I might not get to checking it until next week, i am oncall for my job this week but I will try the suggestions and let you all know what happens, thanks again.

Whatever, it's nice to have an analog meter when doing alignments, as digital ones stutter, stutter, got it? Good mostly for relative values, but good enough for most work. Gosh, must have been 50 years ago when I built one, or was it an Eico. To quote, "I just can't recall."

Old VTVM's are great for alignments, as they do not "stutter" while tuning. Otherwise, fine and when warmed up, pretty good for relative readings. Usually battery leaks and voied ohms readings, and leaks further to take out a few more components. So long as meter movement is still good, can be saved pretty easily in an afternoon for a few bucks. Best of luck.