Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Flying Wedge 48-230

I'm not talking about my photo of my radio but the black and white photos on the schematic sheet. It shows top and bottom chassis views with numbering corresponding to the parts list. Sorry for the confusion..I really appreciate all the help.

See if this helps explain...this is my radio and the numbers are the parts listed on the schematic. Based on the wiring on my radio and comparing it to the schematic, A5 & A6 should be labeled the opposite of what they are listed as.

Mikey

The two sections (provided they are physically the same size) are symmetrical and one end of either is grounded so if they decided to swap them places for convenience, provided they adhered to the sch otherwise, it is fine.

However if they swapped places the whole wired sections, one fully wired for oscillator and another for loop antenna, this is not fine.
We are flogging a dead mare here Icon_smile so:

1. Trace the schematic seeing if the capacitor A5 is wired instead of A6 (that is to antenna loop, cap #16 and pin 6 of 7A8) and A6 wired in opposite, connecting as A5 should (in parallel to 33 xfmer, in series with cap 15 to pin 4 of 7A8, and other parts, like res. 19). If it is the case AND you see the both sides of the cap are exact same size (there are uneven dual tuning caps) you are fine.

2. If not, and whole sections intended for oscillator, described above connected to the wrong pins of 7A8, that is the section of the cap connected to 33 transformer goes to pin 6 and not 4 and the section connected to the antenna loop goes to pin 4 and not 6 - you have it wired wrong and it needs to be reconciled with the sch.

Let's not discuss it further before you make sure of that and have a clear picture of what is there in your chassis.

Let us know when you have it figured out.

The oscillator section is the small one, the antenna section is the large one, the oscillator section is almost always near the front of the tuning capacitor on most sets. Trimmer A6 should be in the antenna circuit, the schematic shows this correctly, the above chassis photo has the two tuning cap sections swapped, this would not be the first time that Sams made a typo in it's literature. The antenna loop has one end connected to pin #6 of the 7A8 tube, which should have the tuning cap antenna section and trimmer A6 paralleled with it.
Regards
Arran

OK, after realizing the Sams photo was in fact incorrect as I suspected, I have put the wires back as they were per the schematic. I have checked the wiring multiple times. I still don't get any stations or static, just a faint background noise similar to an amp that's on and working just waiting for a signal to be put through it. I put a 3rd 7A8 tube to check it. Same thing. I did buy a sig gen Eico 324 on eBay today, and hopefully, this will finally pinpoint the problem.