Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 42-1015P

Hello everyone. I may have a chance to purchase a beautiful 42-1015, the mohogany model with the beam of light changer( the challenging changer), but the console is like a time capsule. The seller wants $200, and I want to know what you think it is worth paying for, and is it as rare as it appears to be? I think it was the top of the line in '42. It is here in my home state of Ct so I can pick it up locally. All comments are welcome.

Well, I'd go for it if you have space and like it. You can easily spend that much for a really nice dinner that will last you and yours only a day. But do not plug it i, have someone check it out first if you are not up on restorations, as it will probably need some attention to bring it back to safe and properly working condition. Could at least double your initial investment unless you can do your own work, , but well, up to you.

The 42-1015 was the second to the top of the line for the 1942 season - the top of the line model was the 42-1016.

In all the years I've been collecting Philco sets, I have seen only one 42-1015 in person, and that's the one I now own. I liked it well enough to let go of the 41-616 I previously owned. The 616 is now in good hands...a Phellow Phorum member has it... Icon_thumbup Icon_biggrin

If the radio is "like a time capsule" as you say, then yes, grab it. $200 might be considered high to some people, but considering its condition and relative rarity...if you really like it, I say go for it...

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks for all the great encouragement. I just finished a 42-1008, with the changer left to be rebuilt, but I rebuilt the tone arm perfectly and tested it on my 41-608 that I restored 2 years ago. Those earlier (41) changers were much better and simpler. I just need to find the room for these consoles. This 42-1015 is certainly a beautiful unit, and I will find a place for it.

I ended up paying $150 for the console. The chassis is very clean, the cabinet is a 9 out of 10, and, of course the phono has the rubber drive wheel with cracked rubber, but the BOL changer looks pretty clean, and is complete. The mohogany cabinets are not bad looking also. Hopefully I can get it going, after I figure out how to get home in my van. It weighs a ton. I will send up some pics once I get it home. Its like Christmas in July.

Good Deal!!!
Terry

Did you ever take some photos i would love to see this one!

Seems like a nice radio to have.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.