Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Dial Lamp 38-9

Hello all.
Restoring a Philco 38-9. I pulled a round #55 bulb out of the dial lamp socket.  Is it possible that this is an original? The schematic doesn't identify type.  I've always seen #44 or #47's in the past.

The part number of the dial lamp in the 38-9 is 34-2064.

Using the handy-dandy chart on Chuck's site:
http://www.philcorepairbench.com/lamps.htm

we find that the 34-2064 translates to a #44 lamp.

A #55 lamp is brighter but does draw somewhat more current. Someone probably installed a #55 so the dial would be brighter.

Today, there is a better solution. These LEDs from Pinball Life are even brighter than the #55 while drawing less current and offering longer life. I've used this particular LED in a few Philcos where the lamp is pointed directly towards the dial, and they work great. I had a 37-690, the dial of which was not illuminated well even with a #55. I installed one of these LED lamps...problem solved. Icon_thumbup

Some folks don't like LEDs because they are not original. And? Like those brand new capacitors inside that set are original? The LEDs, when chosen carefully, can provide superior illumination using less energy while offering longer life. That's enough for me. Icon_smile

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

So Ron, did you use the "cool white" or the "warm white" LED?

Warm white. The cool white looks too artificial, more bluish-white. Icon_thumbdown

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks! That's what I would have guessed but better to ask. Icon_thumbup

Fantastic, thanks for the info guys.  The tuning support rubber arrived today.  It should be singing by Wednesday. My co-workers grandparents are going to be thrilled. That 55 did light up the bench.

The LED is a great idea. I used them with a resister to fix up my Marantz 2230. I had to scuff up the lense a little to diffuse the light.  It never dawned on me to use them for this application. Cool!

Thanks for the info, Ron. As it turns out, they are located about 3 miles from me! Icon_clap

Eric
Lake in the Hills, IL
Member: Philco Phorum, ARF, ARCI & Radiomuseum.org

Hey Ron,

How do you replace a dial lamp with LEDs? Do you string a few of them together?

The dial lamp current is AC correct? Do you use the fact that they only conduct on half the cycle?

Mark

If you buy the proper LEDs from Pinball Life, make sure the description states that they will work in AC or DC circuits...the cheap 39 cent bulbs are for DC only and do not mention this. Don't ask how I know. Icon_sad

As sold by Pinball Life, the proper ones I linked to previously are set up for 6.3 volt AC use. Just install as you would an incandescent 44, 47 or 55, and enjoy. Icon_smile

I conducted an experiment today. I managed to completely recap, recarb and rewire a 42-22CL chassis in 2-1/2 days. A new world record. I'm getting this set ready for Kutztown. But anyway...I installed an LED miniature bayonet lamp into the lamp socket in place of the 47. Now, this is an AC/DC chassis with a series filament string, but it has a resistor with one section having the 47 connected in parallel with it. The LED worked! It didn't get too bright and didn't really dim much as the filament string heated up. I put a #47 incandescent back in afterward, but this is good to know. Icon_thumbup

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN