Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

42-380 Photo finish Faux Finish Resources

Hello:

I had to strip a 42-380 console. It was too damaged to restore without stripping all the polyurethane off that was applied over the shellac, so the faux finish came with it. Any suggestions for restoring the faux finish. I did send a message to Refaux to see what they might have to offer.

As well, I would appreciate suggestions on lacquer colors. I did not really note that this had two types of toner lacquer. It all seemed the same color except for the three faux areas.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

I suspect you will have to replace the photofinish yourself. There is a nice tutorial on how to do this at http://www.philcoradio.com/schooley/index.htm
and at least one (probably more) threads of on the phorum . Others more familiar with the the type of wood the photofinish is supposed to be will probably chime in but it looks like some of the walnut burl images you can find by a google image search. I used the color printer method in the "Schooley" tutorial and the outcome is shown in the thread I mentioned. I had the image printed at a print shop (like the old Kinkos; now Fed-Ex) on an 11" x 17" paper so I didn't have to make a joint. Don't know if that will be large enough for your application or not. I didn't post an updated photo of the finished radio in the earlier post so here's one with photofinish strip at the top.
[Image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5462...inish3.jpg]
Good luck..post progress.

Dont use faux finish. I recommended it in the past but I am unhappy with it. it is too thick and curls off the radio. I am restoring a radio lamp and using plain ink jet paper. It has been a few months since I worked on it but I took an image off online of the walnut veneer, copied it, put it on paper and here is where I am so far. (this is a draft so color is not right)

Attached Files Image(s)

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Everybody's got an opinion. Here's mine: Tony, at: http://www.vintageradiolabels.com/ should be able to help you. I got a faux finish from him for my 42-345 and if you follow his instructions (see the video on his web site) you should have no problem putting it on.

Eric
Lake in the Hills, IL
Member: Philco Phorum, ARF, ARCI & Radiomuseum.org

It looks like Tony does a great job with the faux finish. You would think he would get the font for the PHILCO decal correct, though. Icon_thumbdown I guess I should send him some artwork...

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Don't blame Tony, Ron. The decal came from Radio Daze.

Eric
Lake in the Hills, IL

Thanks. Tony did reply to my query about a slide decal for a 42-380. He said he could make one. I am sending image from the console.

I didn't mean the decal on your radio, Eric - sorry. I meant the decals which Tony is selling.

Take a look at the 54S/59S faux finish here.

http://www.vintageradiolabels.com/refaux-pro.html

Notice that ugly PHILCO decal? It ruins what is otherwise a beautiful faux finish. He's using the same font that Radio Daze was using, until we persuaded them to make them more accurate.

If I have time this evening, I will send him the correct artwork.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I think his decals are awesome but with mine it was a full front. It was 3 pieces, lots of grill work and that made it hard to get correct. On the one you have it is pretty cut and dry. I have a 42 340 that needs dial glass. Maybe you could pull yours out and scan it for me... Icon_mrgreen
I'm too cheap to spend $40 on one from radiodaze and it is not the right color as mine. might not even be the correct glass anyway...

Attached Files Image(s)

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Thanks, Ron. I feel better now.Icon_clap I was kinda bummed after I read your post.

Eric
Lake in the Hills, IL