Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Where to find springs for 1937 knobs?

Hi,

I've got some knobs that fit a 37-670 console that are missing the spring that holds the knob onto the shaft. Does anybody know where I can find some replacement springs?

Thanks a lot, Tom

I have made them from a piece of old broken bandsaw blade. A spring from an old lawnmower starter would probably work also.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Banding metal also works, it is easy to cut with tin snips.

Hi,

Thanks for the quick replies. When you say "banding metal", do you mean the metal bands that are used to secure heavy packages or boxes? I'm going by memory here, but are they about 1/2 inch wide?

Thanks a lot, Tom

This tip comes from Mark Oppat (oldradioparts.net):

"Many knobs are found without knob springs. So I came up with a solution.

My secret: Old measuring tape metal. Its easy to cut with scissors and you can add as many layers as works best. The slight arch in the metal works like the old springs."

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Yes, the metal bands used on pallets and crates, it comes in 3/8 and 1/4" also. You could probably find used pieces at any factory or wear house for free.

Wow great tip will have to try

You all have given me some great ideas. Thanks a lot for sharing.

Tom

Steel tape measures also have a flat clock type spring on the inside that retracts the measuring tape, I've also heard of those being used as a substitute for knobs springs. The pallet straps were a little less useful I found, they were too thick and the steel was too mild though they could work in some cases.
Regards
Arran

I have used the metal from old measuring tapes a few times. In some cases it works nicer than the remaining knobs with original metal springs. If you cut it right it has just the right give to it. And if you make it a bit loose you can add another layer or just a flat piece as a shim. I originally tried thicker/stronger metal and found it more difficult to get right fit/feel.

I too tried banding steel... too much spring stiffness. Tape measure segments are just right.