Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 66 knobs

Assuming I get the electronic rebuild done soon, I'll want to finish the cosmetic parts of the restoration. I'm mostly done there. The cabinet finish was decent to begin with, but I did some veneer replacement on the front around the outside of the grill and feathered the new bits in so they look fairly seamless. The grille cloth was toast, but I wen with a compromise I can live with although I somehow stained a part of it, so I will at some point have to redo it.
The knobs on this set, though, are rosettes. Every photo I've seen shows acorn knobs. These knobs appear to be quite old, and made of Bakelite, so if a substitution was made, it was made with old parts. The cabinet is a cathedral instead of a tombstone. Should I have acorn knobs for this set?

Charlie in San Antonio

My cabinet (see the tread, Kirk is running it) has those black robbed knobs, not sure what they are called.

The few "cathedral" 66's ive seen had the rosette but the 89's that use the same cabinet with different knob location have the 6 sided knobs. Ive only seen a couple and they may or may not have been original.

It should have the black acorn or hex knobs.
http://www.philcoradio.com/gallery/1935b.htm#e

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

As I feared. Are those small, medium, or large. They all look to be the same size.

Charlie in San Antonio

Most photos I see of the 66B cathedral have four small hex knobs.

However

The Philco Service Bulletin for Model 66 calls for a large hex knob (27-4051) and small hex knobs (27-4052).

If it were my set, I would therefore use a large hex knob for tuning and three small hex knobs for tone, band selector, and off-on-volume.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I agree. +1. Just find a large one and you'll have an extra small one to bargain with.

Icon_smile

Chuck

Great information, just what I was looking for. Now, the hunt. There's time. The radio doesn't work, yet, but I am kind of proud of the job I did on the cabinet.

Charlie in San Antonio

I found a complete set (three small and one larger one) on Ebay. What is a decent price for a set?

Charlie in San Antonio

Used knobs seem to go for around $5-6 apiece, I think.

I don't think I would spend more than $25-30 plus shipping.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks. It looks like I'm right on the money, then. $35 and free shipping.

Charlie in San Antonio