Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 116x speaker

Where can I send my 116x speaker for repair, it needs a new voice coil and a new cone.

I just went through this with an old H model. I still haven't ruled out doing it myself, but there is a guy in Ohio, one in New Jersey, one in Utah, and one in Georgia in addition to several smaller shops with no web presence. This forum has a list in the resources section, but the cost will be somewhere between $50-$90 depending on who does the work. Add to that the cost of shipping the speaker both ways.

http://www.philcoradio.com/resourceb.htm

Charlie in San Antonio

There's Alabama radio society also.

I think there is one in Michigan somewhere, and one in Oregon. The one in Oregon that I am thinking of does a lot of car radio speakers too, which are oval shaped, and they were reasonably priced compared to some of the others. When you look at what the cones and spiders actually cost, if you can find them, it makes many of the rates charged by some shops look like a ripoff. But you really have to go by reputation, some shops won't even touch a vintage speaker, claiming that can't get parts, which is partially true, but the real reason is that they would rather recone someone's JBLs for $150-175 a pop with off the shelf parts at a tremendous markup. I say partially true since a generic cone can be made to fit an old basket with minimal effort, it's only the voice coil and spider that could be a problem and require them to make something, which many either don't know how or don't care to do.
I myself would recone speakers if I could find the parts, I think that the 116X uses a 10'' so at least you can find those easily enough, mind you all bets are off if the voice coil is wrecked. At least these use a center mounted spider of the 45 RPM adapter style, you can make those yourself if you can't salvage the original.
Regards
Arran

There is a place called Freeman Tuell speaker service in Dallas tx, they do excellent work on speaker reconing. I use them when I need that done on my antique radio speakers. Very reasonable prices . Call them at 214 324 1132

Thanks to everyone for all the information .