Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 116B

One of my scores from Ktown was 116B. Got it for a great price but it has a hole in the left side of the cabinet. Looks to be about 5/8 in dia and it is near the top. I'm hoping against hope that it is original and used to hold a switch to turn the avc or something.
Terry

terry
glade to see you made it home Icon_clap
you give low rider a new meaning   poor old ford Icon_shh
sam

Yup she was riden LOW. I was a little worried myself!
Terry

Congratulations on that find and a safe trip back home. I know you will do a good job restoring this one.

I have wanted one for years but never seem to find one that I can get shipped here.

Be sure and give us updates on the restoration!

Joe

I can understand , it's a big heavy set.
Terry

I hate to tell you this but the 116B did not have any sort of a switch on the side.

The good news is, since the top and sides use that Extra Dark Walnut toner, you can carefully patch the hole, re-lacquer and no one will know the difference due to the dark toner used.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Nice find! The 116B is a great radio Icon_thumbup

Don't know Ron, as my set looks like the last set in the pic on the new header. Doesn't seem to be any dark toning at all.  Well just have to work on my hiding skills.
Tnx
Terry

Oh...you have the late version 116B. In that case, kindly ignore my comments about the toner. You didn't specify and I made an incorrect assumption. Oops.

Well, you don't see as many late version 116Bs as early shouldered 116Bs, anyway. And the late version still sounds good even with a smaller speaker (8 inch in the late version vs. 10-1/2 inch in the early version).

Hopefully you can manage to hide the hole as best as possible.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

The best way to hide a hole is to make someone live in it. Like a rat. Or a venomous tarantula spider.
Everyone will pay attention to the inhabitant and overlook the hole itself.
One drawback is though, it also detracts attention from the radio itself.
But the hole will be hidden.

I dont remember a hole?

I can spot a hole fairly easily since I am in one with the house  Icon_lol
I say when spring comes and I am settled I will take yours, Johns, and Mikes 16B and restore them.
I miss my Zenith chairside  Icon_sad  Icon_lol

Post a picture of the hole I missed. I could have missed it in that packed mobile home you call a car.  Icon_mrgreen

Kirk

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6