Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Mikes latest cabinet

This is the cabinet Mike got on Craigslist.

I have begun trying to repair the repair someone tried. Ugh I hate when they think glue without clamping is ok...

She will need new wood on the top side lip and then a new dial cover. I think Mike may have bought one though...
Did you Mike?

Here is the start. I have absolutely no time so it will be a long time between posts for the restoration.

Attached Files Image(s)

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Kirk

No rush. Do it at your own leasure.
I just like those small tabletops by Philco, especially those from 1938 and 1939.
They are.....neat.

At least it is not another huge cathedral! Icon_rolleyes  Icon_rolleyes

Kirk

As of 1/01/2021

Kirk,

I have one like this that has the same problem on the side except on mine where the wood has cracked it has shrunk close to 1/4" so the wood connected at the top is even but from the split beyond, it drops off the entire length of the top. So how or what would you do to make it not as noticeable?

I had a problem similar to with with a speaker cabinet build I did a few years ago. I was using Baltic Birch plywood and one of my cuts was off by a very small fraction. I was able to cut a very thin "shim" with my table saw - just a thin strip and drop it down into the gap. A little glue on each side and it was a perfect fit. I would think the same technique might work here. Use a thin piece of wood or veneer and just cut a narrow strip and glue it in place. Make sure it is a bit "thicker" than it needs to be so it can be sanded down so it is level and smooth.

Cute radio...I have a five tubber on my nite stand that I listen to regularly!

Working in all the missing chunks along the top sides of the radio. Someone poured glue in there and didnt do an actual repair or clamp it,,, Ugh..

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

Them laymen.....

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Veneer repair and matching test.

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

I have a box of ancient artist oil paints from my grandfather, and I myself am an antique, which even when just about dried out can come back to life with a couple of drops of unleaded, and fill in where needed or to augment a really rough project where rattle cans don't finish up properly. Don't do enough to fire up the compressor and deal with charging and then cleaning the sprayers like the old days when I'd wait until I had a driveway full of stuff to do. Anyway this is outdoors stuff only!

Took care of that nasty long veneer issue yesterday and leveled it out today. 

Getting there!

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021