Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Signal generator

I have an Eico 315. It has been all recapped and properly calibrated (hopefully), but still occasionally drives me insane, especially when on the higher frequencies.All that long wait untill it stabilizes.... Long story short, I am looking at BK 2050.Any opinions on that one? I believe it is a solid state. Shouldn't it be more stable and reliable? Thanks.

If I were ot splurge I'd get me a synthesizer type one, so it is 1) dead on the money and 2) no need to use a counter.

PS. Careful with solid state gens, when plugging them, even via a cap, to a plate circuit. Will take the output out.

I usually leave my old Eico on for at least a half hour before using it, and still have to "fine tune" whilt connected to a frequency counter. Incidently little handheld frequency counters can be had for very little money nowadays.

I have a good quality table top frequency counter. How would I know otherwise my generator's instability?

If you have a digital synth gen, for your purposes (radio alignment) instability is not important.
After all, how do you know your counter instability? Who is watching the watcher?