Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Latest project: 42-22CL

Just completed this afternoon. The original 72 year old electric clock still keeps perfect time....although when I went to put the chassis back in the cabinet, it stopped doing so. Icon_mad

Turns out one of the two wires to on the plug attached to the clock broke off flush against the plug itself and I didn't see it until everything was all back together. So, I was able to take the clock out without having to remove the chassis again, and luckily there was enough wire left that I could just strip off the insulation and solder it inside the pin again (removing the old stub inside the pin first, of course). I removed the other wire from the pin as well and cut it to the same length, re-soldering it to that pin again too.

Nice performing radio....surprised to even get a few sporadic stations on the police band! Icon_thumbup

I gather this set is somewhat rare, judging by the relatively low production number of around 8000?

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

Nice job on the cabinet. A pretty and functional clock radio.

Those clocks will keep perfect time because they're synchronized to the 60 Hz power. The power companies have to keep the frequency very stable they can switch power from any and all sources.

I restored a similar clock radio in a bakelite cabinet for a friend. The clock ran perfectly except the knob to set the time was frozen in place. The only way to set it was to wait to plug it in at the exact time where it stopped and then plug it in real fast. Then it would keep perfect time. Finally, I gave it a squirt of WD-40 and that freed up the setting knob so I could set it for real. I dunno if a clockmaker would approve of WD-40 as a lubricant, but it did the trick.

John Honeycutt

Looks great!!
Icon_clap Icon_clap Icon_clap

You may want to take the gear box out of the motor and give it an oiling, that is if the motor is built like a typical Telechron type, there are a few tricks for doing so. A light oiling of the gear shafts is also not a bad idea, sometimes they need a cleaning and degreasing first though if it's really grungy.
Regards
Arran

Good idea, Arran. I neglected to mention while I had the clock out of the cabinet to repair the plug, I did give it the once over and a light oiling. It works smooth and quiet...the knob to set the time works freely as well now.

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

Really like your radio! Enjoy it!!

beautiful job Greg! It looks fantastic!

Have one of those too. Raleigh---it's a radio with a clock, not a "clock-radio" in the sense that the clock has no connection/function with the radio as other "clock radios" do.

Great job, Greg! Icon_thumbup

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Looks good! Icon_smile

No matter where you go, there you are.

What a cool old clock radio. It looks great!