Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Need help/information on Mopar 807 / Philco D-5007 radio

Hello all,

I'm new to the Philco Phorum and hope that someone here can help me.
I have a 1949 Dodge car with a Mopar 807 AM radio in it. I also have a second Mopar 807 radio from a 1950 Dodge car.
After many years without a working radio, I finally decided that I want to repair one or both of these radios so that I have a working radio in my car.

Last night I opened the top cover on the 1950 radio to see if there might be a schematic or other relevant information inside to help me torwards the repair. Well, there is no schematic, but the lid does have a sticker that says Mopar 807 and Philco D-5007, and lists the part numbers of the tubes and vibrator.
6x4 6aq5 6c4 6av6 6ba6 6be6 6ba6 and 83-0025 or 83-0026.
The power bright/block inside has Jan. 1950 written on it, and the vibrator has/was replaced at some point in time.

Does anyone have a schematic for this radio, and second, does anyone have any suggestions on how to troubleshoot and repair it? - I have a degree in electrical engineering and learned tube theory while in college (late 80s and early 90s), but have never applied that theory into actual practice.... I certainly want to repair this properly the first time, and know that I should replace any and all wires within the radios as I work through the repair.

BTW: The car is 6 volt positive ground.

Darren Swanson
Bloomington, IL

Firstly, the 1949 and 1950 Dodge and Plymouth Philco sets were the same. (Motorola made the 6 tube sets for Dodge-Plymouth those years)

Secondly, battery polarity on those sets doesn't matter. They have interrupter vibrators.

The sticker in the set with the schematic on it is so small, so as to be useless. I have the Philco service notes, and could copy them for you.

You will find that these sets used black plastic cased capacitors, same as the earlier model C-4608 Chrysler sets. These capacitors become resistors with age, and have to be replaced in their entirety. Once done, the set will about knock you on the floor with its performance. Like its 41-48 predecessors, those sets have superb audio, as well as a hot RF channel.