Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Need help on Philco D-5007 / Mopar 807 radio repairs

Hello all,

I'm new to the Philco Phorum and hope that someone here can help me.
I have a 1949 Dodge car with a Mopar 807 AM radio in it. I also have a second Mopar 807 radio from a 1950 Dodge car.
After many years without a working radio, I finally decided that I want to repair one or both of these radios so that I have a working radio in my car.

Last night I opened the top cover on the 1950 radio to see if there might be a schematic or other relevant information inside to help me torwards the repair. Well, there is no schematic, but the lid does have a sticker that says Mopar 807 and Philco D-5007, and lists the part numbers of the tubes and vibrator.
6x4 6aq5 6c4 6av6 6ba6 6be6 6ba6 and 83-0025 or 83-0026.
The power bright/block inside has Jan. 1950 written on it, and the vibrator has/was replaced at some point in time.

Does anyone have a schematic for this radio, and second, does anyone have any suggestions on how to troubleshoot and repair it? - I have a degree in electrical engineering and learned tube theory while in college (late 80s and early 90s), but have never applied that theory into actual practice.... I certainly want to repair this properly the first time, and know that I should replace any and all wires within the radios as I work through the repair.

BTW: The car is 6 volt positive ground.

Darren Swanson
Bloomington, IL

Welcome aboard ohmdr!
I looked thru my vast collection of JF Riders schematic manuals for your needed schematic. Didnt find one listed for either model 807, or D-5007 that matches your radio description (IE; 49 Dodge auto radio). However, I did a google-search of the Philco D-5007, and a website in Germany has the Philco D-5007 listed. According to their website ( http://www.radiomuseum.org), the only literature that exists on this model was a "Philco Service Auto Radio 1946-1953" that included schematic & literature? You may find copies of that old print at http://www.justradios.com website email link ? You could ask Dave if he has the schematic. Also, there is a very,very nice tube-tech fellow right here on these forums that restores MANY vintage auto/truck radios! He openly posts his email addy in his posts he makes here helping-out the vintage auto radio restorers, so I feel it is OK to fwd that info here. If anyone here knows about where, a schematic can be found for your radio, Bill does!! His email is: radio_29chevy@yahoo.com . I just finished a complete restoration on a 6V Chev/GMC truck radio, and Bill was a Great help via email!!
Also, you will need the proper "bench-test" equip necessary: 6V DC pwr supply that can handle up to 20 amps ( you cant use a battery charger!!),.. but you can pull the 6V battery from your car and use that to test your car radio once complete electronic restoration under chassis is completed first.
You will need to make sure the orig tube filaments are still good ( just as a test) because if the filaments are open,you will need to replace them 1 by one. replace ALL the old wax-paper caps, & electrolytics caps in the metal-housing can mounted on top of the chassis (if still orig).
Hope the orig vol/tone/on-off switch controls are still good?... or be able to find suitable replacement via eBay If orig is bad? ( lube the controls with a shot of WD-40 if you can access the wipers inside the cases by terminals), and of coarse, finding a good replacement spkr that will retro-fit into the orig cab where the spkr permanant-magnet fits if orig spkr is bad can sometimes be a challenge as modern day car spkrs have massive size magnets on them.NOS replacement vintage car spkrs show up on ebay from time to time, with the small-style PM magnets in 4-8-16 ohms types.
Replacement capacitors can be found from several sources, I purchase from http://www.justradios.com
You will also hope that the orig 6-8 volt transformer on your chassis is still good also. The vibrator tube will most probably require you carefully removing the metal case (from base crimp), and refiling the mechanical-points. Solid state 6V replacements are much better and more reliable, (keeps hum out of the radio also). Those are avail at: http://www.radiodaze.com You will also need to replace the "buffer-cap" on the rectifier tube ( 1600 v type).If you decide you dont want to restore it yourself, ask Bill if he has time to restore it on his workbench ,.. or I could attempt the same. Just hope your radio hasnt been "hacked" before by someone that didnt know what they were doing! You never know what your up-against, until you open up these vintage radios , and take a very-close look indeed!! Good luck with your 49 Dodge auto radio!! Icon_wink Icon_wink

I am currently working on a 1949 Dodge Mopar 503. I have that schematic. Will look for the 507 Mopar Philco D-5007
Icon_e_biggrin

Also the tubes and vibrator look to be the same.
Currently looking for a solid state vibrator.......