Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Grille Cloth for Model 43

Hi,

Can someone tell me where to get a piece of replacement grille cloth for a Philco Model 43?

What remains of the original has a beautiful deep copper sheen to it.  I looked at a couple of sites and found a similar pattern, but the color didn't match at all.

Thanks so much!

There are only a limited number of places to get grille cloth that is similar to original patterns and many patterns have never or are no longer being reproduced.  A list of possible sources can be found here.  

Thanks Bob. I just ordered a piece of the "Whiskey Rayon" pattern which closely matches the original--just not sure about that amazing coppery metallic sheen in the original threads. I noticed that metallic quality in grille cloth of two old Zeniths I worked on. I wonder what thread they used? Perhaps it isn't made any longer.

(11-24-2014, 02:10 PM)klondike98 Wrote:  There are only a limited number of places to get grille cloth that is similar to original patterns and many patterns have never or are no longer being reproduced.  A list of possible sources can be found here.  

Bob,

BTW--do I need to stretch the grille cloth when I apply it to the pre-glued backing piece? Any advice on how to do that?

In general, I wonder if there are any restoration notes posted by anyone anywhere for a Model 43, or for these vintage radios in general?

Thanks!

(11-24-2014, 02:10 PM)klondike98 Wrote:  There are only a limited number of places to get grille cloth that is similar to original patterns and many patterns have never or are no longer being reproduced.  A list of possible sources can be found here.  

Here are some instructions on grille cloth installation from a fellow who used to supply grille cloth.  I do not do the starch bit and have only used an embroidery hoop once.  I generally spray some of 3M's 77 spray adhesive onto the backing board, apply the cloth to the bottom and work my way up the board keeping the cloth taut across the opening.  If you mess up, I've been able to peel the cloth off and try again if you don't wait too long.  

There is lots of advice on vintage radiio and in particular Philco radios on this PhilcoRadio.com site.  Spend some time looking around.  You can search the phorums for specifics.  There is an Important Restorations Topics and Useful Download Information.   Specific technical information can be found in the Tech Section.  Another good site for Philco radios is Chuck Schwark's Philco Repair Bench.  Chuck can send you schematics and all known dealer updates for only a few bucks or you can find a schematic on nostalgiaair.org.  Your radio will have bakelite block capacitors that you will need to replace or restuff with new caps in addition to electrolytic capacitors so you should read the info by morzh and view the Bakelite Block Capacitor page.  Many of the resistors will need changing as well.  

If you are new to vintage radio restoration, I'd review the info on Phil Nelson's site for beginners.  Lots of folks here to help you with your project!

Thanks very much, Bob!

I will check out all your excellent information!

(11-24-2014, 03:46 PM)klondike98 Wrote:  Here are some instructions on grille cloth installation from a fellow who used to supply grille cloth.  I do not do the starch bit and have only used an embroidery hoop once.  I generally spray some of 3M's 77 spray adhesive onto the backing board, apply the cloth to the bottom and work my way up the board keeping the cloth taut across the opening.  If you mess up, I've been able to peel the cloth off and try again if you don't wait too long.  

There is lots of advice on vintage radiio and in particular Philco radios on this PhilcoRadio.com site.  Spend some time looking around.  You can search the phorums for specifics.  There is an Important Restorations Topics and Useful Download Information.   Specific technical information can be found in the Tech Section.  Another good site for Philco radios is Chuck Schwark's Philco Repair Bench.  Chuck can send you schematics and all known dealer updates for only a few bucks or you can find a schematic on nostalgiaair.org.  Your radio will have bakelite block capacitors that you will need to replace or restuff with new caps in addition to electrolytic capacitors so you should read the info by morzh and view the Bakelite Block Capacitor page.  Many of the resistors will need changing as well.  

If you are new to vintage radio restoration, I'd review the info on Phil Nelson's site for beginners.  Lots of folks here to help you with your project!