Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

hi new to phorum

Hi, new to this site and new to the world of old radios. I have acquired this beauty today. I fell in love! Gorgeous. I've scoured the internet and cannot find any details? Model, age? I paid £10 which I considered an absolute bargain as it's in full working order.
Please help me find a story for my new piece.
Thanks

fienulla
welcome to the phorum
pic of the back side would be nice too
before you plug in again make sure that caps and electrolytic`s have been changed
sam

(11-27-2014, 01:42 PM)mafiamen2 Wrote:  fienulla
welcome to the phorum
pic of the back side would be nice too
before you plug in again make sure that caps and electrolytic`s  have been changed
sam

Hi
Lady in the shop plugged it in for us and managed to receive signal on a couple of stations. Any clues on age? I have no idea what electrolytes are let alone changing them lol. Sorry really new to this and never owned one before. Don't want to start off damaging it :/
Thanks

Electrolytics sorry :/ predictive text...

Welcome. Looks to be a nice enough radio maybe from 50's.
Check the rear dust cover for any numbers or perhaps inside the case and maybe you can
find the model here

http://www.radiomuseum.org/m/philco_gb_en_1.html

Looking quickly at sold British Philco on the Ebay there I couldn't find an exact match so maybe a rear picture will help someone here familiar with the chassis

Hi guys on closer inspection behind the dust cover the number we found was B2853. I tried several google searches and ascertain it's from 1951 but not mush else. Is this quite a rare model? As we can only find service manuals etc, no pictures or others like it.
Thanks
Naomi

Hi Naomi,

Assuming you are located in the UK and that is where you purchased the radio, please understand that I - and many others - have written about, studied, collected, etc. chiefly USA Philco radios and we are not really that familiar with Philco's UK products. And this is only because there is virtually no information on UK Philco radios on this side of "the pond".

I generally do not like to send folks to other forums when they come here for answers, but sometimes I have to make exceptions; and this is one of those cases.

I think you may be able to learn a little more about your radio via the UK Vintage Radio Repair & Restoration forum.

http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php

I have a few UK-made Philco radios, and I think it is neat how different they are from USA Philco radios. Yours is no exception. Icon_smile

Good luck!

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Much Appreciate your reply and the link
Kind regards Naomi

From what I can tell about other British Philco models from the same era, it likely used North American style tubes/valves, and since it was a Philco they used a lot of Loctals. Loctal tubes are those shorter cylindrical shaped tubes/valves with a metal base, and eight short pins, they were developed by Sylvania in the late 1930s and were fairly popular up until the early 1950s. This is a good thing if you need to replace any, tube designs were standardized fairly early on in North America, even if they used different bases most AC tubes used a filament voltage of 6.3 volts, some British valves not only used odd bases but odd voltages like 4 volts. On thing to keep an eye on is the rectifier tube, if it's a 6X5GT, usually it's not an issue but sometimes the manufacturers ignored the maximum specifications of that tube and ran it to it's limits.
  Your Philco has the typical styling of a British made wooden table set made in the late 1940s through mid 1950s, a fairly plain plywood box, mesh grille, and a white plastic escutcheon. Without the name "Philco" on the dial glass it could be mistaken for a Pye, a Murphy, an Ekco, or a wooden Bush radio from the same period. They all remind me of the speaker cabinets they used to use for public address systems in schools and hospitals.
Regards
Arran

hi and welcome to the Phorun!!!
If you could take some pics of the chassis that would give us a clue as to whether the set has been serviced lately. You don't want to run the risk of damaging a part that is expensive and or hard to replace. Again tnx for joining us!!! We don't get many gals here!
Terry N3GTE