Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Dial string aid

Is there a tool and supplies that one can form a loop with a clamp for the end of a dial string? I often have trouble figuring out how to hold the knot in the the proper location to keep tension on the spring. Original strings seem to have been clamped like this or had an eyelet for the spring connection. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Attached Files Image(s)

There are different types of knots you can make. There is one ( I dont remember the name of it) that you fold the end of the string around and down which looks like the loop then use the loop to tie a knot about an inch down which will hold and stay there, forming a loop. If you dont quite understand what i am explaining You can probably do a search on knots and will find this sort of a knot to make.

Are you talking about the "bowline?"

Attached Files Image(s)

Whatever knot you use, I put a drop of super glue on it so it never moves.

Eric
Lake in the Hills, IL
Member: Philco Phorum, ARF, ARCI & Radiomuseum.org

The perfection loop works well too.  

I make the dial cord a few inches longer, so I form a 1/2 loop at either end, and I use a knot similar to this:

http://www.animatedknots.com/surgeonsloo...dknots.com

Regards
Arran

Yes Arran's knot is close to the one I was talking about. Except his makes a few knots in it as mine was only one. It seemed to hold, but I can see if you wrap it a couple times it would be more secure.

I appreciate all the comments. However, it seems like there ought to be a tool available to clamp with a metal clamp in the exact location the loop is intended. But then...maybe not.

(12-16-2014, 03:24 PM)Warren Wrote:  Yes Arran's knot is close to the one I was talking about. Except his makes a few knots in it as mine was only one. It seemed to hold, but I can see if you wrap it a couple times it would be more secure.

I don't but as many knots in it as that, usually just a single in the loop where it is doubled over, which seems to hold. I could not find a diagram of the type of knot I use so I picked that one which is closest.
Regards
Arran

I generally just double the end of the line with a single bend, then, using the doubled piece, tie a single overhand knot. pull on the loop and the long end, the loop will draw tight and will not move. Quick, easy, dirty solution. A drop of glue is not a bad idea, belt and suspenders, if ya know what I mean.