Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Tropic 42-788

Thanks, Tom! Icon_biggrin I already have the chassis restored...just need to fix its speaker...and once the cabinet is done, this is going to be a nice radio! Icon_thumbup

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I believe the French Walnut would be perfect.

There a couple guys in Louisville that sell veneer. I have dealt with both.

I have bought veneer from JSO Wood Products in Louisville a few times. He sells on Ebay  http://www.ebay.com/sch/jsowoodproducts/...1543.l2654  

Rosebud Veneer  http://www.ebay.com/sch/rosebudveneer/m....1543.l2654

This fellow has very good prices. He is located in Georgetown Indiana.   I have bought from him also  http://www.ebay.com/sch/rjfritz123/m.htm...1543.l2654    

Kirk, PM coming.

Steve 

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Hay Steve  does the veneer he sells have a cross grain wood backing or is it one slice that's reversible ? I've always got my veneer from wood world in Dallas and they call wow veneer because it wood on wood not paper back which I don't use anyway and those prices seem real good on eBay. I always like to see and touch the veneer to see myself what im buying, it is what it is. The eBay selection is great, wood world here doesn't have that selection like on eBay, im sure you can order special size , you think? Fred Taylor

(06-14-2015, 07:51 PM)Steve Davis Wrote:  If you need some Orientalwood veneer, I can fix you up. I have accumulated a lifetime supply.

When searching for Orientalwood, look for Australian walnut also. They are one and the same.

Steve

Steve;
  I'm not sure that Australian Walnut and orientalwood are the same, I have some Australian Walnut and it has a brownish grey colour almost like black walnut, and the grain is much like ribbon mahogany. This is not to say that they could not be the same species but in the descriptions given in Rogers and DeForest Crosley ads they list both as being different types of wood. Rogers built sets used loads of the stuff, which is why I acquired it. Perhaps it's asia wood that is one and the same as Australian Walnut? But in any event the species of veneer used above the dials and speaker on that Tropic was lighter in colour then the Australian walnut I have, maybe a look through Constantines online gallery will establish what it is?
Regards
Arran

P.S I searching through those links I think that I found another veneer species that was used on Rogers cabinets, quarter sawn figured eucalyptus veneer, I wasn't sure what species it was until seeing that. It's either that or curly Brazilian walnut, I will have to have a closer look at my Deforest Crosley and Canadian Majestic sets to see which it might be.

Arran, you could be right. I was going by this  http://www.doogeveneers.com/dv_veneer_li...quartered/  But it seems like I remember reading it somewhere else sometime back.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Ron,
You likie?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/French-Walnut-8-...TM:US:1123

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

That is purty. Icon_thumbup

But for the left and right top shoulders...it may be too fancy and make the main top piece look out of place. The plain French Walnut you linked to previously (from Louisville) will do nicely for the shoulders, I think.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Boy picky picky are we 
Kirk I would Polly it when your done 8)

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

Just pulled the sucker down and started prepping the cabinet for new veneer. Some loose seams so gonna fix those before. I just opened the box I got from Steve and oh boy, I said I needed 3 strips, not 3 8 footers, lol.
I owe you Steve

Glued clamped and waiting for tomorrow.

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

...don't scratch up that 41-300 console...

I forgot that I had left the speaker board mounted inside that cabinet - I should have removed it. Sorry.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Its Okay, If I punctue it, Ill just tell the owner it was already like that Icon_wink

As of 1/01/2021

I intend to replace the cloth anyway, so g'ahead, puncture away. Icon_lol

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

It'll be Kirk's skin.....

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

My hide stays where it is for now. I would use my back shin but the grill would be like a bear pelt Icon_lol

Me

As of 1/01/2021

kirk

hope your wearing a good mask
take it easy with chemicals
we want to see you at ktown Icon_thumbup

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2