Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 37-630 questions

Hello,

Can anyone please point me to a replacement potentiometer spec for a philco 37-630? i believe it is the tone control one. It is on the left hand side when facing the radio and it is the stubby one. I don't have picture because it has been missing for years.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
Joe

Welcom to the Phorum!  There's a schematic on Audiophool's Philco page.  If you can't get the DJVU file to open let me know and I can post a pdf of it. Looks like the Tone Control is also the On-Off swithch (part #59).  Once turned on it appears further turning would adjust the tone by adding in different capacitors.  Perhaps someone with a 37-630 can say for certain.  

Your best bet for a Philco replacement is to put an ad in the "Wanted Ads" section.  

(02-11-2015, 02:17 PM)klondike98 Wrote:  Welcom to the Phorum!  There's a schematic on Audiophool's Philco page.  If you can't get the DJVU file to open let me know and I can post a pdf of it. Looks like the Tone Control is also the On-Off swithch (part #59).  Once turned on it appears further turning would adjust the tone by adding in different capacitors.  Perhaps someone with a 37-630 can say for certain.  

Your best bet for a Philco replacement is to put an ad in the "Wanted Ads" section.  

Hi Bob.

Could you please post the PDF? That file won't open for me.

Thank you
Joe

Sure thing.  Philco 37-630 schematic

(02-11-2015, 09:30 PM)klondike98 Wrote:  Sure thing.  Philco 37-630 schematic

Thanks Bob. That time it worked.

Joe

Can anyone please tell me item what #68 on the philco 37-630 schematic is / does? It reads that it is a "wave switch antenna" but it looks like a large resister. Mine is a tar covered white dog bone with a red strip? Is there a way to test this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Joe

Here's the schematic for someone who can help answer.  I see the part in the list and on the schematic it looks like 68 is a rotary switch but in the under chassis diagram it looks like the 68 is pointing to a dogbone resistor.  Since the other wave switches for the RF and the OSC are the rotary switch I'd say the diagram is in error, but I've not worked on one of these.

I merged this this thread and the earlier one you posted to keep things together.  Just keep asking questions about your 37-630 electronics in this thread.

Looking at the under chassis diagram and the schematic a bit more, it looks to me like the under chassis diagram dogbone resistor labelled 68 should really be labelled 64, i.e. the 2 watt 9K resistor attached.  Shouldn't be tar covered though.  A white body, black ended with a red dot or center stripe would be a 9K resistor.

Ok Philco Pros,

...if I did this correct, I should have attached a pdf with a jpeg on it. If so, please take a look at the image and check out the large white (covered in a black type of tar) with a red mark item.

In the schematic, this is called out as "#68 Wave Switch Antenna". But to me, it looks like it is a large dog bone resistor. Can anyone please confirm what this is and is there a way to test it?

thank you all
Joe

Attached Files
.pdf Philco 37-630 dog bone resistor?.pdf Size: 334.64 KB  Downloads: 112

Yes, that is the 9K two watt dogbone resistor Part # 64.  Its labelled incorrectly in the under chassis diagram.  #68 on the circuit schematic page is correctly labelled and is that switch I mentioned.   Its just got crude on it and/or the white paint is coming off...or both.

You can test it with an ohm meter, just disconnect one end of it first.

BTW..you can attach image files as well as pdf files.

(02-27-2015, 07:19 PM)klondike98 Wrote:  Yes, that is the 9K two watt dogbone resistor Part # 64.  Its labelled incorrectly in the under chassis diagram.  #68 on the circuit schematic page is correctly labelled and is that switch I mentioned.   Its just got crude on it and/or the white paint is coming off...or both.

You can test it with an ohm meter, just disconnect one end of it first.

BTW..you can attach image files as well as pdf files.

Thank you Bob.

As for the photos, I tried to attach the photos directly but when I did, I kept getting the "file too large" error message. And because I was trying to attach them from my iPad...I have no idea how to reduce the size using an iPad so I thought I'd try a PDF. I'll look into the iPad issue for the next time.

I'll probably have to join an (cough, cough) Apple forum  Icon_sad

Thanks again 
Joe
Smile 

yes there is a file size limit and the photos look best if they are not more than 800 pixels wide and easily seen even somewhat smaller. don't have an ipad, so can't help you there

Read this link:

http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/digital...cesize.htm

One tool I use to resize several pictures at once is FastStone Image Viewer. Fast, easy, and free.
http://faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

The photos I post are 900 pixels wide. Any larger than that and the entire photo will not display.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

You can even resize using IRfanview, it's free and is also good for viewing your picture files