Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Model 81-need help please

House GND is the Earth GND.
A waterpipe is a good one.

Or the GND pin in the power outlet.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

(03-03-2015, 04:11 PM)Radioroslyn Wrote:  Earth ground is best. Shouldn't blow gfi or breaker unless the cap that from the ac line to the chassis is bad.
Terry

Thanks Terry.

(03-02-2015, 02:08 PM)Jay Thomas Wrote:  
(03-02-2015, 12:34 PM)Bill Bacco Wrote:  If you are interested in some changes I made to my 81 Jr to address the volume issue, check out the following thread.

http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread...2#pid38812

Bill

Thanks Bill.  May be the next thing I will try.  This seems to put the volume control in the output circuit where later models have them. 

Jay
Hi Bill:

I made the changes in your diagram to my delight!  Grounding the receiver was not an option for me.  With the circuitry change I can now control the volume from zero to loud on the strongest stations.  I do not notice any distortion at any volume level and I now receive more stations than I did before the changes.  Amazing!  Thanks much!

Jay

If you would like to raise the sensitivity that 1.2k resistor seem a bit low unless you have a 50,000w AM blowtorch near. The original was 20k. I'd play with that value. Try  5,10,15K. If you live in stickville you can just remove that resistor.
Terry