Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The 39-116 project: the beginning

The innards of the volume control. Note the rudimentary clutch. Just a simple slip clutch to keep the motor drive from binding..

Ever seen these before? I bought three for "special projects", which ended up being this radio. Excellent workmanship and sure save the worst parts of restuffing the original 'lytics. With the added benefit of being able to easily replace the component again later. Most interesting of all? You could even use them to restuff those oddball bias 'lytics with the can positive!

(04-18-2015, 10:46 PM)BrendaAnnD Wrote:  Ever seen these before? I bought three for "special projects", which ended up being this radio......

No, I've never seen or heard of them before.  Doing a quick search I couldn't find a website or any info on them, other than I think fellow who made them is a Certified Machinist.  Do you know if he still sells these and were they very expensive?

I think most of the time I'd prefer stuffing the originals, but there could be special occasions where they might come in handy.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

I don't remember how much I paid for them. But his email is on the label (cjpotempa@gmail.com), so I would contact him to see if he still makes them.

You go girl,
I am impressed with what you have done with my old junker.
Looked like way more than I was up to.
You sure know your stuff.
Anyway, good luck with it.
murf

Still a lot to do, but it's slowly coming together.

It's looking like I may need to restring the remote antenna, all the wires have sort of fallen into a lump. I had to reglue the frame last night where all the pegs had come loose. Thankfully, it's not super critical and I think I have some cloth covered wire of about the right gauge that I can use.

Hi!  I have a 41-616 and just installed this 40mfd motor run capacitor during my set's bi-annual shop job.  FYI: Philco changed the circuit from 30mfd to 45mfd to "increase positive action of the volume control motor".  It was a good change too.  This cap works great and fits perfectly in the slot below the motor.

Now if I can just locate a replacement drive belt.  On a 41-616, the motor drives a standard potentiometer with a belt. However, the one I have is on its last legs and slips too much to be able to actually turn the set off.  I'm afraid to adjust the tension any higher.

Hello Brenda and sleuth255, 
What did you both do as final values for the 16mfd and 30 mfd capacitors in the volume motor control circuits on your radios? I have a 41-616 and am trying to do determine the best voltage values to replace these with.  Furthermore can you just confirm that you used nonpolarized/bipolar capacitors for both of these.

I'm working on a 40-216 now and am wondering about #30.

I asked in my own thread here but no replies yet Icon_sad

I was just going to used polarized since that is what I bought but am unclear on what #30 is.

It has 2 black wires coming out of it and the strap is soldered to the case which is then bolted to the chassis. I see a (2) on the cap, is this actually 2 caps?

I can't figure out what way to put the cap in with both wires being black if it is just one cap.

Sorry for the hijack just looking for answers.

I just answered in your thread. Icon_smile

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN