Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 49-1075 Non-working turntable

my model 49-1075 the TV works Radio works but the turn table needs a motor it will not spin but has a sound coming from the needle wondering if any one know some one that will help me,. THANKS Icon_crazy

Hi Dennis, Welcome to the Phroum! Sorry I can't help you but I'm sure someone here will offer some advice.

If you can post a picture of the phonograph it would help, and if you kow what phonograph it is. Did you check to see if thee is voltage going to the motor? If there is you may need a new motor. Also, make sure there isnt any binding from it to the platter.

Nine times out of ten or better, the motor is just fine, but the bearings in the motor or elsewhere in the changer are seized up due to petrified grease or oil from disuse. It's either that or the power switch is buggered up in some way such that the motor isn't receiving and voltage, but that should be easy to bypass for testing purposes. It's much more common for the cartridge to be dead in a 1940s record player then the phonograph motor, Rochelle salt crystals are notorious for disintegrating over time, this may have one of the magnetic cartridges though since it's likely a higher end machine included in an early radio-TV-phono combo unit.
Regards
Arran