Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Predicta TV Conversion

Got this off the RetroFuturism forum on Reddit.  Guy does some really good work here.  Guess it's for a museum display?

Philco Predicta TV Conversion

What a schmuck....

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Well, it was creative .     Icon_biggrin
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

Looks terrible. The 17" sets are more reliable than the earlier 21". I really doubt much, if any, effort was put into trying to repair it. I even have one running on all original components aside from a few tubes.

OK, I'll re-phrase: what a schmendrik.

To me this is no different from converting a radio into a shabby crap newspaper table.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

There use to be a company that would remove the internals of your Predicta and install a SS color flat screen TV in the Predicta cabinet. It looked kinda cheesy.
Terry

Cheesy like the Casu Marzu cheese. (it really stinks).

(03-31-2015, 06:50 PM)Radioroslyn Wrote:  There use to be a company that would remove the internals of your Predicta and install a SS color flat screen TV in the Predicta cabinet. It looked kinda cheesy.
Terry

I hope that they went out of business, by either going bankrupt, or the owners being sent to prison. A Chinese made flat screen in a vintage set just looks stupid, Predictas, like most TVs, had a spherical face on the picture tube, so the first thing noticeable is this large gap between the face of the plastic safety lens and the LCD screen. Also the original electronics can be made quite serviceable and reliable, especially the second generation Predicta models, and if properly restored will last for years.
Regards
Arran

Predicta today is a sought after collectors item, especially if restored and functional.
It is not intended for home theater experience.
"Upgrading" it like this is a testament to the owner's stupidity as it totally loses value as Predicta and does not become a good looking and very functional modern item, as the size alone won't allow it to become adequate for home theater or even simply good viewing goals.

It is a theme or collectors item and, gutted and upgraded, it will become that Aesopian Bird in borrowed feathers, which (in Russian version) is a crow, that "left the crows, but failed to join peacocks".

There still IS a company that makes Predicta repros with color innards. Don't know if they're SD/HD or what.

http://www.predicta.com/index.shtml

Well, these folks I cannot say anything bad about. They do repros, not repurposing old TVs.
If someone likes that, I won't argue, matter of taste.

Mini Predicta:  http://www.popularmechanics.com/technolo...rinted-tv/
Terry

What a crying shame I would gave him mine with the bad crt