Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Technics sl-1300 Tuntable question

How did I do on this Technics turntable, its works as it should and sounds great, I payed 100$  it did need some cleaning and a new needle,  Deal or dud?  

Attached Files Image(s)

Dunno about the price, those were not that expensive when they were still being sold, but they are a good player, I own a Tech TT myself.
As long as you have adequate sound system and things to play - all that matters.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

I'd say you did well. I have the same turntable and other than replacing the stylus have never had a problem. I've seen this model go for $200+ on evilbay.

I used to own a Technics turntable, don't remember the model number now. I wish I had kept it. Man, that was a nice turntable. Icon_sad

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I try not to pay anything for mass market turntables/phonographs, especially those needing a new needle, the yard sales are full of ones needing needles, or cartridges, and or belts, because people don't know where to get them, or can't be bothered, even the second hand stores won't take them. It's probably a half decent record player, and if it can track records without skipping, good, I'm just letting you know about my experiences in the local/regional market. I don't care about what they may sell for on fleabay, there are so many scam sellers and bidders on there who knows if a $200 sale is legit, but given that I don't like having radios shipped I wouldn't trust a seller with packing it right or a shipper getting one here in one piece with destroying it.
Regards
Arran

(04-08-2015, 02:50 AM)Arran Wrote:   I try not to pay anything for mass market turntables/phonographs, especially those needing a new needle, the yard sales are full of ones needing needles, or cartridges, and or belts, because people don't know where to get them, or can't be bothered, even the second hand stores won't take them. It's probably a half decent record player, and if it can track records without skipping, good, I'm just letting you know about my experiences in the local/regional market. I don't care about what they may sell for on fleabay, there are so many scam sellers and bidders on there who knows if a $200 sale is legit, but given that I don't like having radios shipped I wouldn't trust a seller with packing it right or a shipper getting one here in one piece with destroying it.
Regards
Arran

Thanks Arran for your humble opinion, I purchased this technics  TT on CR. I researched it before I bought it and I am happy with it.  The new stylist was only 15$ . From what I've found out about this TT was it is a high end turntable in its day, and to replace it with one comparable quality of one made today would be very costly. It doesn't use a belt and it plays great. I noticed that vinyl records are making a come back, I grew up in the days with these stereo turntable's and couldn't past this one up. So now its all hooded up and playing . I now can play the records that been in storage for long time. Its hooked up to high end Sony system , it brings back the days of my growing up thru the 1970-80. Truly a lot of fun.

Since it looks pretty clean and works OK I think you did alright at $100.  With used TT's you just need to watch out for signs of abuse and worn bearings/slack in the tonearm.  The SL-1300 gets pretty good reviews.... what type cartridge does it have and what type stylus did you put in it?  I have always liked the looks of the Technics TT's.  

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Check our JICO for replacement styluses. They had just what I needed for my Shure V15 Type IV.

Mike

Cossor 3468
GE 417A
Philco 118H
Radiola 17/100
Scott 800B6
Silvertone 6130
Stromberg 535M
Truetone D1952

(04-08-2015, 01:36 PM)PhilcoMike Wrote:  Check our JICO for replacement styluses.  They had just what I needed for my Shure V15 Type IV.

Mike

Thanks Mike, I also have a V15 type IV that I'll need a new stylus for before long.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Agree with John (Eliot). After all, a Technics TT is in a different league than, say, a BSR. I know the one I had about 20 years ago was a very high quality unit. I installed a Stanton 500 cartridge and I really thought I had something special...and, really, I did. Icon_biggrin

Edit: I think mine was an SL-D2. Direct drive (far superior to belt drive IMHO). I think your SL-1300 is probably a better turntable. Icon_thumbup

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

(04-08-2015, 01:28 PM)Eliot Ness Wrote:  Since it looks pretty clean and works OK I think you did alright at $100.  With used TT's you just need to watch out for signs of abuse and worn bearings/slack in the tonearm.  The SL-1300 gets pretty good reviews.... what type cartridge does it have and what type stylus did you put in it?  I have always liked the looks of the Technics TT's.  

Hi Eliot, the cartridge is a sure v15 III and the stylus is a sure track. before I bought it I did check for those things you mentioned , I found it on CR and believe it or not it was listed under antiques,  I wasn't even looking for a turntable but the add said antique gramophone and the pictures weren't all that great either . But I knew it was a table from the 70s but which one was it. So I called and asked if you could find a model number on it and she did. I told her I would get back with her. Then I researched it and called back told it was sold, the rest is history. I really like the strobe light for the speed, I remember when that first came out with tables, the sound of vinyl is still excellent with a good system. I still love the radios from the 30s.