Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Poor poor little National HRO Senior L76

Now that sounds cool 
Hope he returns message
Sam

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

So for all yous guy's that are waiting with baited breathe Russ was kind enough to return my email. Russ was a previous owner of this set. He owned it for a year or so in the early 1960's and was the one that replaced the paper caps in it. He sez it was already green when got it. When he sold it he was looking for better rx for this new thing called single sideband(my words not his) Was replaced with a Collins set. $200/1934 technology verses $500/1955 technology.

Here's a few final pics. I had a lot of fun getting this guy back in good working order. And am looking forward using it as a station receiver in studio B (up stairs ham shack). Will be constructing a power supply for it, have been using the one for my 2 toob regen. I don't have an original spkr/cabinet for it but do have a universal metal spkr from the '30s and hope to be able fit the p/s inside it.

Will probably revisit L76 when I get studio B put together. Mike, no not you, the Mike with a license maybe when the summer static clears out a bit we can get together on 75 or 40mtrs.
So what to work on next???

Terry N3GTE
ps. It told me it wanted to hang out with it's little bro a 1936 or so SW-3 w/a few coilz.

Attached Files Image(s)

terry
WOW they look good Icon_clap Icon_clap Icon_thumbup
umm you know you have a problem Icon_think 

shed and basement have radio`s
1st floor has radio`s, now your taking over 2nd floor too Icon_eek

sam

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

No wife
No control!!!!

Terry

Icon_lol   Icon_clap Icon_clap

mafiamen2

Terry, What a great job. Sure doesn't look the same as when you got it.. Anytime you want to get on 40 or 80 Meters let me know.

Fantastic looking ..

Skip WB4YVO

She's a beauty!  Excellent job.

Sean
WØKPX

Terry advised me to come over here and kill a while reading thru his thread on L76. This is my first post on the Philco forum. I think i have one Philco radio so I don't frequent here much. I might post a pic of my only Philco (a 21) since they seem to be a bit rare.

Any. Terry, Excellent work! I am impressed you got the wrinkle finish as nice as you did. My understanding its hard to get it to look right and if you didn't say so it would be hard to tell it was repainted from the pictures! Can't say I ever seen some look for old Wax capacitors to stuff and put in place where the old ones were. Now that is being a purist! Icon_smile. Nice work and I may follow your lead in that regards.

I bought a several HROs a few months back and I really like the pre-war sets. I have serial numbers F-138 and U-251 (seniors) and o-77 (a jr). U-251 is in really nice physical condition and I need to find one more coil and its will be complete and i'll start on the restoration electrically. F-138 need considerable help including no coils, holes in the case some rust and who knows what eslse. Being such an early set it will be worth a resorting at some point and the Jr will probably donate some of its tube sockets, shields, etc to F

Thanks Terry, I don't know what it is about these sets but they really intrigue me. I enjoyed reading your article.

Steve

Hi Steve and welcome to the Phorum,
So you are bored and have some time to kill! Thanks for the compliments. At that time I was working in a shop where we had some heat guns and lamps. I think that helps with the wrinkle paint. If I had to guess I'd say I spent 5 or 6 hours doing the body work and prep to fix the holes get it ready for paint. I enjoyed that part the patching,soldering, filling, sanding and priming. If you are patching holes don't try skipping the primer as the wrinkle paint will be absorb by the bondo and leave a ring around the filled area. Makes it stick out like a sort thumb!
The electronics was fairly straightforward barring the broken wire on the volume control and an odd taper RF gain control. Last fall a ran into an old National chassis with lots of dud paper caps in it. They have been cleaned up and are ready for new innards.
If you need some parts I maybe be able to help out. I've got an early RAS that is really in rough shape. Originally I thought I'd fix her up but now I'm thinking it's too much work and will part it out. HRO JR's don't show up too often so you may want to keep it in one piece.
As for your D coil there is a large radio meet in Aug that may yield one. There has been a guy who shows up with a few beat up HRO Seniors. I was told that he has some spare coils.
Have several Philco model 20's and a 21 somewhere. Got it a number of yrs ago but needed a lot of work. As I remember it had a bunch of open coils, Field coil, pri of the output trans, and a couple of the rf trans.It got set aside but I think I have the parts now to get it back working.
Look me up if I can be of help.

GL
Terry

I finally got the digital readout to work properly on this beast. I started out using rectified heater voltage to power it but it didn't like it much at all. Worked much better w/a 9v battery.Ended up building a 12vdc p/s inside the rack p/s to power it. As Mondial said it is pretty sensitive so I had to attenuator the oscillator signal. Wasn't quite sure what is grounded on the counter but signal - power - and the mounting hardware had no interconnection. Grounding the power - to the chassis helped a lot and bypassing the 12vdc w/a .1 cap got it to settle down nicely. Works great now from 500kc-30mc. Haven't tried any of the low frequency coils yet.
I'm pleasantly surprised at how stable this old guy is after in little warm up time and the counter proves it.

Attached Files Image(s)

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

That heavy awkward desk looks familiar! Icon_lol

Looks good Terry... Icon_smile

Icon_smile

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Blue color is good for night sessions, it keeps you from falling asleep!

Icon_smile

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Hey Terry, did you ever get the HF version of the counter module without the prescaler? I like it a lot better because it updates the reading ten times per second.

HRO setup looks really nice with the counter installed!

(01-31-2017, 11:18 AM)Mondial Wrote:  Hey Terry, did you ever get the HF version of the counter module without the prescaler? I like it a lot better because it updates the reading ten times per second.

HRO setup looks really nice with the counter installed!

Yup! Works much quicker than the vhf model, just like the Kenwood.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry