Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 39-30 Grille/Bezel Questions

I just picked up a 39-30 table top in really good condition last night.  I haven't delved into the chassis yet, but have some questions on the outside.  Here it is before a application of Gojo (which I didn't take an after pic, but did a great job cleaning this up, even removed what looked like white paint splatters).  It does look like someone may have put a coat of brown paint on the edges of the end boards, as seen from the front/top of the chassis.

First question is the grille cloth.  From pictures I have seen on the web, i think the closest match is #14 from Radio Daze.  Is that correct, or is there a better pattern?

The next is the bezel.  The dial cover is missing.  I see Mark P makes one, and looking at the bezel, the original must have been held in by tiny little rivits.  I'm assuming this is one of the cases where it's easiest to send him your bezel, and have him install it.  Is that true?  And the dial itself has gotten dirty over the years.  I know on the phenolic/brown dials, water is a no-no to clean them with.  Does the same hold true to this white plastic dial?  If so, sugggestions for cleaning it, maybe mineral spirits)?

Also the buttons were replaced with custom cut and painted wooden blocks.  Someone obviously liked this radio enough to make their own after the originals deteriorated.  I will be getting replacement buttons from Ed at RR.  And a new set of corner chassis mounts.  As long as I'm ordering form him, does anyone else happen to know if there are any other grommets that I should get from him to replace (like on the pushbutton mount, or the tuning capacitor)?

Also on the bezel, it looks like someone cut a piece of glass and taped it on with packing tape behind the preset tab holes.  It doesn't look factory.  What was originally there, and is this a good enough substitute?

And here is something I never thought I would see.  Someone thought it would be a really good idea to put a non-vented back on this radio.  Nothing like trapping all that heat in the cabinet! Icon_crazy 

Thanks in advance for any info.  Not sure when I'll start looking at the chassis, but I'm assuming its pretty straight forward.  I know it's got some rubber wiring, including the PT, so II know I'll have to address that.  But any questions on the chassis and I'll start a post in the electronic forum.  I have 2 other projects I really need to finish up (Fisher 800C and RCA 811k) before I get side tracked on this one.  But it's new (to me), so it's got my attention now...

-Nick

Be sure to view Bob Andersen's (bandersentv) multipart video on YouTube! He posted threads in the Phorum also (here).  Its certainly easier to send Mark yhe bezel but he gives you the little rivets if you want to do it yourself.  I did a similar 39-25.  

Do Not Use Water on the dial.  I tried mineral spirits on a small section and was not happy...it seemed to smear just a bit.

The tuning cap has rubber grommets that probably need changing.  Ed at Renovated Radios sells 'em.

My set had small square clear plastic pieces that were in front of the radio station tabs.

Yep RadioDaze #14 is closest Ive seen.  

Bob - Thanks for the input. I pulled the chassis last night and found there were also rubber sleeves around each screw. I had a set for my 40-180 handy from Ed and compared them. The originals were slightly shorter and slightly larger diameter. So I think I'll get another set from Ed and just trim down the height to fit. Or leave them full size and let them compress and that may cause the diameter to expand. I'll have to play around with it and see. And it looks 4 of the GPH-46-480 will work for the tuning cap.

I have some #14 cloth that I bought to do a 39-6 with that I never got around to yet. Guess I'll use that for this. Who knows, maybe I'll still have enough for the 39-6. But with my luck, probably not!

I'll check out those YouTube vids as soon as I have some time.

Oh, one other thing about the cloth. The cloth is creased from being shipped. Is there a good way to flatten it back out and get the creases out? Like lay a towel on it and use a steam iron?

I picked up some 3M 77 adhesive tonight, and ironed out the cloth with my iron on the lowest setting with steam.  Got most of the creases out.  The main crease wouldn't some fully out, but it's not very noticeable now.  I read about a method of pinning the cloth down to card board with pins to stretch it tight.  So I gave that a try.  Lightly put a coat of adhesive on the card board cutout, and laid it on the backside of the cloth as straight as possible.  I put some heavy stuff on it for about an hour, then used a fresh xacto blade to cut it out.  Didn't turn out too bad.  It's certainly not 100% tight.  But it's not horrible either.  Pretty good for a first try ever.  At least I think so.

Folks use different methods to get the cloth stretched and tight. I also use the 3M product and spray the board or cardboard that will hold the cloth, then let the adhesive get tacky (wait just a minute or two). Once its tacky I lay one edge of the cloth down on the board, press it down, and gently pull the cloth tight across the opening in the board, pressing it down on the opposite side when tight. Then follow with pressing down one of the other sides and pulling very gently on the final side before pressing it down. If it doesn't look good you can still pull it all up and do it over.

Buy it from Kenny richmond and it will never be creased

Kirk

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

You're right Kirk, and I've used his cloth a number of times, unfortunately Kenneth doesn't have the particular cloth that looks similar to the original for this radio Icon_sad