Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What color for sides of a 3650

I have a Philco 3650 and the front has a very good finish , but the sides and top are very bad.. I am going to
redo the sides and top.. I already have those parts stripped and ready.  Can anyone suggest a Mohawk toner that would be the same as the original color, or close to it?
 Thanks ,,,,,,,,,,  Dan in Calgary

Living in Calgary Alberta

Hi Dan, a photo of what you have might help.  The Canadian 3650 could be similar to the American 650B table model or the 660X console.  See http://www.philcoradio.com/world/images/canindex.pdf

As for the toners, I'll have to let someone else provide that advice.

As I recall, the Canadian 3650B's cabinet is identical to the USA 650B.

In which case...you want Mohawk Extra Dark Walnut Ultra Classic on the top, sides, and trim; Mohawk Medium Walnut Tone Finish on the front panel.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

(05-14-2015, 05:56 PM)Ron Ramirez Wrote:  As I recall, the Canadian 3650B's cabinet is identical to the USA 650B.

In which case...you want Mohawk Extra Dark Walnut Ultra Classic on the top, sides, and trim; Mohawk Medium Walnut Tone Finish on the front panel.
     Thanks Ron. A fast response.I have  Extra Dark Walnut, but is it the same as the Extra Dark Walnut''Ultra classic''?

There are two types of Mohawk toner, dye based (ultra classic) and pigment based (Tone).  Ultra Classic is the dye based and tends to show the wood grain more than the pigment based toner which is more opaque.

I've used Extra Dark Walnut in the Ultra Classic (dye) and the Tone Finish (pigment) versions, and I really can't tell much of a difference in these - both are so dark that they will quickly hide the grain of the wood.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

(05-14-2015, 07:59 PM)Ron Ramirez Wrote:  I've used Extra Dark Walnut in the Ultra Classic (dye) and the Tone Finish (pigment) versions, and I really can't tell much of a difference in these - both are so dark that they will quickly hide the grain of the wood.

Thanks for the information. I will use the Extra Dark Walnut.  If it isn't what I want I can always remove it and use the classic

I believe that the Extra Dark Walnut will be fine, the top and sides of most of the 1936 model tombstones are made out of single, molded, piece of laminated and grainless wood anyhow so there really isn't anything there to see. I think it's poplar but it could be any cheap white hardwood really, and the grain (such as it is) runs from back to front. As far as I can remember the Canadian built models use this same style of cabinet, though the front panel veneers may vary.
Regards
Arran