Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

TWO 16b tombstones/ FINISHED!

The philco decal on both 16b early/ late tombstone version,s. What is the  part # for decals from radio days and also the grooves that have gold paint in them is that true gold or something else like beige or burnt yellow ? Im restoreing 2 16b,s and what to get it right so Ron can give me a thumbs up Icon_wtf

Attached Files Image(s)

Cabinets are solid now and all veneer work has been done. These two 16b,s I got at sergeants auction a few weeks ago and started restoration. I will do all refinish work in the next couple days and then get going on the chassis. I've got new grill cloth coming and new dials, rubber feet and decals. One chasis was real bad with rust and grime so I bead blasted it and will repaint will light satin gray to protect the bare metal .All the shields will be painted as well as transformer's. Here are a few pics before and after cabinet repair

Attached Files Image(s)

Don't know the answer Fred but moved the thread to Cabinet Restoration where folks from the future may search. (and merged it with your 16Bs thread there)

Fred,
I noticed that there is a difference between the two tops. One of them seems to have a more raised portions near the center. Is that the way they came?

Crist

Fred Taylor Wrote:The philco decal on both 16b early/ late tombstone version,s. What is the part # for decals from radio days...

For all 1932-1936 Philcos as well as some very early production 1937 models, you want to use DCL-PH8 from Radio Daze.

Quote:...and also the grooves that have gold paint in them is that true gold or something else like beige or burnt yellow ?

Not gold, not yellow. A darker shade of ivory is what you want to use in the grooves. Beige would be a bit too dark, really.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

(05-24-2015, 06:02 PM)Crist Rigotti Wrote:  I noticed that there is a difference between the two tops.  One of them seems to have a more raised portions near the center.  Is that the way they came?

The cabinet with a more pronounced "peak" in the top is a later production version, and most of these have the 4-band chassis, although some have been found with 5-band chassis. Whether this was done by previous owners or at the factory is anyone's guess. The early production version, with a somewhat flatter top (less of a pronounced "point" in the center) had the older 5-band chassis.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron.

Crist

(05-24-2015, 06:02 PM)Ron Ramirez Wrote:  
Fred Taylor Wrote:The philco decal on both 16b early/ late tombstone version,s. What is the  part # for decals from radio days...

For all 1932-1936 Philcos as well as some very early production 1937 models, you want to use DCL-PH8 from Radio Daze.

Quote:...and also the grooves that have gold paint in them is that true gold or something else like beige or burnt yellow ?

Not gold, not yellow. A darker shade of ivory is what you want to use in the grooves. Beige would be a bit too dark, really.

Thanks Ron

For what it's worth, here is my restored 16B.  I believe it to be the earlierr 5-band chassis in a later cabinet (slot on the peak).  When I was working to un-bolt the chassis, I found other drilled holes in the bottom of the cabinet.  Whether that was original and the older chassis was replaced by someone or whether it was drilled with both sets of holes at the factory is anybody's guess......I guess.  Not sure which knobs belong on my chassis--mine are the hex type.  I THINK the earlier chassis had the hex knobs, right Ron?  I've seen some 16Bs with the other "rounder" knobs.  I'm not sure what the correct term is for them.

Anyway, they are quite the radios.  Fred, I think you're very lucky to have one of each of the cabinet variants.

Attached Files Image(s)

I have one 16b late version already finished and hade restored 1 for a customer in Oklahoma. They are real nice powerful radios.

Attached Files Image(s)

(05-26-2015, 08:34 PM)Fred Taylor Wrote:  I have one 16b late version already finished and hade restored 1 for a customer in Oklahoma. They are real nice powerful radios.
Fred,
  You did a very nice job . That 16 is beautiful.Thanks for sharing.
                                     Henry

I have completed both cabinets and chassis. I am waiting on 2 new dials and grill cloth to complete them. I am having a problem with the early version chassis > I will have Dick Morgan look at it Monday, hes my teacher. Dick is teaching me how to repair these antique radios and im showing him what I know on the refinishing part of it. Here are some pictures of status  on 16b,S Icon_wtf Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbdown Icon_wtf Icon_wave Icon_crazy Icon_clap

Attached Files Image(s)

Here are the chassis for the two 16b,s , still waiting for dials. Radio Daze sure takes a while after you place an order. I may get part of an order , then wait a few weeks later for the rest, then I get charged for shipping on on two orders instead of one order. 

Attached Files Image(s)

Heres Dick Morgan working on 15x

Attached Files Image(s)

Fred,
Just beautiful man.

Crist