Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Model 65 Speaker - Suggestions on grille cloth?

All right, folks, I would like your opinion.

I have a metal speaker cabinet identical to the one shown below:

[Image: http://philcoradio.com/gallery2/images/1...ery_00.jpg]
(Photo credit: Jim Viglas)

Mine has no grille cloth.

This pattern is not being reproduced.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron- Just a couple ideas, not knowing the size you are dealing with:

From Radio Daze:
P/N GRC66, which is for an RCA 100B Speaker, and has similar sunburst pattern(8" dia)

or

P/N GRC58, for an RCA 103, and is quite different being a print of flowers in vase.(13"x13")

Alternately, from Grill Cloth:
http://www.grillecloth.com/images/philco87.jpg and trim it down to fit.

Lastly, get a good quality high pixel .jpg photo in macro of the proper one, photoshop it to correct the colors, and print it onto an iron-on transfer and make one, or send the color corrected file to grill cloth & ask for a custom job.

Just a few thoughts,
Scott

Old Cars, Old Radios, Old Pipes and Young Women... What more is there?

Scott - many thanks. I would go the iron-on transfer route...if I had a good one to scan, or a high resolution scan from someone...anyone? Icon_biggrin

I hope to get the Model 65 radio, which this speaker goes with, restored next year. The speaker itself is already reconed...it just needs that cloth!

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Does no-one else have an opinion? Not taking anything away from Scott, certainly, but I was hoping to hear from more than one person...

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I thought I saw an alternitive to iron-ons at a carnival or car show. They would take your picture and print it on a shirt. It didn't have the rubber look of an iron on, and would be more apt to let the speaker breathe. Might have to take a picture of a picture. I think I'll play with google for a while and see if I can find the technique.