Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Videos/Course

Any of you Philcofanatics every think of doing a video series on Philco restorations (for the beginners like me) from beginning to end or offering an on-line course or a hands on course on antique radio restorations? Might sound like a crazy idea but thought I would throw it out there to see what the opinions would be.

I think this would help beginners like me and increase the interest in the hobby. So the knowledge and experience does not get lost. I am only 35 years old and there does not seem to be too much interest in people my age in this hobby. I belong to the local radio club but am not able to devote as much time as I like to it and it is around 1hr away.

Just my 2 cents any comments appreciated.

Chris

Got this off Google...

Bret does not seem to have a viable website at the moment - or I can't find it....

These DVDs show up on eBay as well.

ANTIQUE RADIO RESTORATION VIDEOS

Now available: Antique Radio Restoration Volumes 1 and 2, or a special package of BOTH at a 20% discount. Visit my (rudimentary.) website to view a special streaming PREVIEW of Volume 2!

SINGLE PRICE:
Volume 1 or Volume 2 on VHS: Send $34.99 + $3 S&H
Volume 1 or Volume 2 on DVD: Send $39.99 + $3 S&H

PACKAGE PRICE:
Volume 1 & 2 on VHS: Send $59.99 + FREE U.S. SHIPPING! --- SAVE OVER $15!
Volume 1 & 2 on DVD: Send $69.99 + FREE U.S. SHIPPING! --- SAVE OVER $15!

Send Check or Money Order payable to Bret Menassa at the address below, or PayPal to bretsoldradios AT att.net

Bret's Old Radios
P.O. Box 51671
Denton, Texas 76206

Chuck,
Thanks for the info.
Chris

Bret has a video where he restores a wooden table Philco. It is a great video to watch, but he doesn't show the proper way to rebuild a bakelite block capacitor. He installs the new capacitors around the old bakelite one. These are not hard at all to rebuild, and should be done properly.

But, aside from that one point, Bret's videos are informative, and well produced. I will be purchasing his newest one on plastic cabinet repair soon.

It would be a big help if there was a list of all videos available relating to this hobby. I just got the DVD 'Empire Of The Air', and have already watched it twice. This video really clarifies the major milestones of early radio development. Armstrong really was the genious behind radio development, while Sarnoff, much like Bill Gates, was the one who found the greater use for the product. DeForest? I'm still wondering why someone didn't shoot him somewhere along the way....

Frank Wrote:Bret has a video where he restores a wooden table Philco. It is a great video to watch, but he doesn't show the proper way to rebuild a bakelite block capacitor. He installs the new capacitors around the old bakelite one. These are not hard at all to rebuild, and should be done properly.....

True Frank. It is easy and I show it on my site: BAKELITE BLOCK RE-BUILDING

[Image: http://www.philcorepairbench.com/images/bblok-01.jpg]

Frank,
I agree a list of videos of this hobby would be helpful.

I wish there was a local course at the colleges around here on antique radio repair. What I really need is a mentor who can work with me side by side. I am learning by trial and error and slowly. Which in some ways is good but can be expensive. Although I have not blown anything up except once I blew all the filaments on one of my battery tube radio by adding two much juice.

I was wondering how empire of the air was.

Thanks
Chris