Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

my "NEW" 37-630

Great looking radio!  and if it came with that cold beer sitting next to it even better!Icon_lol   Take care, Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

That is a NICE radio in excellent condition. Congratulations!

I got a console version of the 37-630 two years ago and restored it last year.  I think you will be very happy with the performance of your set

As a newcomer to the hobby, it might be worth mentioning to you that this might be a somewhat challenging restore.  At least if you have never done a radio restoration before.  Philco's built in 1937 and 1938 were built with what was called modular construction.  This makes the restoration a little more difficult.  I don't tell you this to discourage you.  I only want to say that you may want to develop your skills on an easier radio like a simple AA5.

There is a lot of information on this site about this modular construction and how to actually rework them.  Look for posts mentioning "RF subchassis".

Good luck.

I really like the 37-630. I've got one that's missing one side of it's cabinet. I'm sure it can be fixed, but it's on the back burner, waiting it's turn.

Tom

She is a beaut, how is that Wigner Beer btw?

Beer and radios do mix, listening and having a frosty. Radio repair and beer does not mix.

Paul

Tubetalk1

(07-03-2015, 08:04 PM)Paul Philco322 Wrote:  She is a beaut, how is that Wigner Beer btw?

Beer and radios do mix, listening and having a frosty. Radio repair and beer does not mix.

Paul
Widmer is a local brew here in Portland Oregon...great micro brew

Your very right Paul....beer during admiration time only...too many could cause a burn spot on the finger.

(06-26-2015, 06:36 PM)PAradiogeek Wrote:  That is a NICE radio in excellent condition. Congratulations!

I got a console version of the 37-630 two years ago and restored it last year.  I think you will be very happy with the performance of your set

As a newcomer to the hobby, it might be worth mentioning to you that this might be a somewhat challenging restore.  At least if you have never done a radio restoration before.  Philco's built in 1937 and 1938 were built with what was called modular construction.  This makes the restoration a little more difficult.  I don't tell you this to discourage you.  I only want to say that you may want to develop your skills on an easier radio like a simple AA5.

There is a lot of information on this site about this modular construction and how to actually rework them.  Look for posts mentioning "RF subchassis".

Good luck.

Thanks for the heads up... really good advice on the chassis thing......but.....I like to challenge myself some times,
And this one is sure starting out that way.
Now that I've spent some time today removing the rf section I understand fully what you meant.
Am moving my thread to the restore chassis section and hope some will follow... went back to work full time and getting close to 55 hours a week...doesn't leave me lots of radio time.
Happy 4th

Lee/NN7X

Great looking radio! It will be a great player when you are done with it. I have a Philco 37-610 tombstone , very good player picks up stations from all over!