Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Restored 640 tombstone

This Philco 640 has been sitting around for at least 2 years because I screwed it up, that's right I Fred Taylor screwed it up, and I know that the can on back isn't suppose to be army green, will fix that later. It was a basket case when I got it and I had to bead blast the chassis , in doing so I took off the tuning condenser and when I put everything back together I soldered  a cap in the wrong place on coil . Therefor it would not pick up anything but audio was good, it took a lot of trouble shooting for a friend of mine to figure out what was wrong, we would look at it then put away, look at it put it away , so it sat . Last week Mike looked again and then found problem Icon_clap . The cabinet was refinished last year by yours truly and was done wrong so I had to redo that as well. Its a push pull but one side of transformer isn't working but sounds very good with one side working, may replace it at later time. We have so much time invested so far it isn't funny, at one point I was going to leave it alone and keep it as a shelve queen Icon_e_surprised But is plays good on all bands but lacks the push pull performance sound . Im surprised how well it sounds with one tube running Icon_wtf  

Attached Files Image(s)

Looks good to me.

I hope to add that or similar model to my collection at some point.

WOW! Fred Beautiful job as always! By the way how many radios are in your collection?   Icon_clap

You  know ifs funny you asked, the other day I counted them , I came up with 98 radios most of them I very good condition, I really need to sell some of them to recoup some of my money and time invested in them. Thanks for the compliment on my 640 restoration.

Looks like it should.
Snazzy.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Fred's beginning to make me feel inadequate!!

(07-20-2015, 09:14 PM)Art Hoch Wrote:  Fred's beginning to make me feel inadequate!!
Art, what are you trying to imply? Once I find a job I will cut back on my posts Icon_clap Icon_clap Icon_think Icon_think Icon_wave Icon_wave