Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 90 original finish preservation

So I purchased my beautiful model 90 with its original finish. The previous owner said that all he did was wipe the cabinet with lemon oil. It has the normal aged lacquer cracking to it but it's in great shape. I'm wondering what is the best way to preserve and protect the original finish? Is there a curtain product that will keep the finish from breaking down any further?

I have sometimes used a penetrating oil finish on aged lacquer: thinned varnish, boiled linseed oil, tung oil, Minwax "Antique Oil," there are many. Occasionally I've heated the surface with an infrared lamp to aid penetration. Any oil remaining on the surface is wiped off before it sets.

(07-09-2015, 07:03 PM)Alan Douglas Wrote:  I have sometimes used a penetrating oil finish on aged lacquer: thinned varnish, boiled linseed oil, tung oil, Minwax "Antique Oil," there are many.  Occasionally I've heated the surface with an infrared lamp to aid penetration.  Any oil remaining on the surface is wiped off before it sets.
Very very intresting Icon_wtf

Maybe try Kramer's Antique Improver:

http://www.kramerize.com

^^I haven't tried that product yet but I was just reading over at the other joint about it. Sounds like a good product.