Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 41-280 cabinet veneer

I wasn't going to have a cabinet thread, but I had ordered some walnut veneer on EBay at a great price that came in today and looks like a perfect match to me. Also, I had started striping the ratty cabinet veneer to see the grain and base color a bit better. After I got some of the old finish off, I discovered that Philco had applied the veneer on the front and sides in 4-5 inch strips that run from the Photofinish to the back of the cabinet. It looks to me like I could remove the entire strip on the parts with major damage and simply lay down a new strip with my new walnut. My task is studying how to wrap the new veneer around a 90 degree curve without breaking or cracking the new veneer. I would think going that way is a much better solution than trying to patch those large areas. What do you folks think?

The largest repair to be done.

A close up of the stripped veneer showing the seams of the veneer strips Philco put in.

Charlie in San Antonio

You have to soak the veneer in water at the area where you want it to bend to make it pliable then wrap it around something with the same dimensions until it dries.
At least that's how I do it.

Has anyone ever tried this technique on a cabinet curve before? The veneer looks quite flexible after he shoots steam into it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awIBy11kMA8

Charlie in San Antonio