Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

41-280 grill cloth?

The grill cloth on the 41-280 looks like tea-stained cheese cloth.  Other than one pouch hole and some discoloration it's not in too bad shape but while I have it apart for cabinet restoration (just gojo-ed it) might as well replace it.

I've looked at the Radio Daze and Richmond Designs grill cloths online, but nothing looks close.  I'd prefer to match the "original factory equipment". I see a few other folks working on 41-280's currently...  anyone have a pic of original-condition 41-280 grill cloth and a source for it?

good grief. I don't know how that happened. Sorry for all the duplicates.

OK, trying again.  Hopefully won't get the same pic posted 10 times, this time.

If you don't find a good reproduction, I found a really close type of fabric at our Jo-Ann fabric store for my 40-180. It is close to the same color(not quite as red), but you really can't tell the difference once its back in the radio. It is a little tighter weave but doesnt affect performace of the speaker at all and it even has a little bit of a 1940's decorative pattern woven in with it. I don't know if you have a Jo-Ann fabric close by but if you do, my receipt says: "Tobacco Hopsack Line" and the skew number is 400104961151. I got mine right off of a large bolt so they had it in stock. I will try to get a picture posted tomorrow. If you like it I have quite a bit and could send you some. Hope it helps.

Thanks for the suggestion, sdradioman. I checked out Tobacco Hopsack at the local Jo Ann Fabrics. I can see how that might work. But like you said it's a good bit thicker than what I have now.

Searching through the posts on this forum, it looks like there isn't a reference that will provide a factory-original match. Saw a post from Ron where he considered developing an exhaustive listing but decided against it since he wasn't "independently wealthy". Can identify with that!

I think I might try the "Whiskey Rayon" fabric pattern that I see mentioned in a few other posts (though not in reference to the 41-280 specifically).

Anyone have experience with that, positive or otherwise?

I was thinking looking at mine that aa good cheese cloth dyed that color would be about perfect.

Charlie in San Antonio

Still looking around and found Speaker Fabric Supply selling on etsy listing a fabric "GG 35" which seems a good color match although the weave looks more like a burlap style.  Anyone have experience with Speaker Fabric Supply?