Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 90 veneer

Checking on what is the correct veneer for a Philco cabinet 90 arch.  Does this look correct?
[Image: http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/data/500...veneer.JPG]

I personally have only seen a couple of pictures of 90's with the veneer running from side to side like that one. I just bought one but just like a 70 i have the veneer is in book matched figured sheets about 9" wide from front to back.

My 90

Attached Files Image(s)

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Wait...

Thats my 70...

Todd, Long time no see!

Sorry no good pic of the arch. Will get one later today.

Me

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

I'm guessing the radio I pictured, in my original post, has had some veneer replaced, possibly with an incorrect type.

(08-20-2015, 12:30 AM)SteveG Wrote:  Checking on what is the correct veneer for a Philco cabinet 90 arch.  Does this look correct?

It looks fine (correct) for an early production 90 cathedral.

Early production 70 and 90 cathedrals had the veneer wrapped around vertically as in your photo. Later in production of these cabinets, Philco switched the direction of the veneer to run front to back (horizontally). I think one of the four 90 cathedrals I have owned over the years had the side-to-side, over-the-top veneer like yours. It was an early model with push-pull 45 outputs.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I used to have a mid version 90 with the grain running from side to side. Also, I have a 70 with the side to side grain.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Thanks for the info. My attempts at owning a nice model 90 aren't going well. The one I bought was misrepresented and is on its way back. The one pictured in this thread has an incorrect speaker and may no longer be for sale. The search continues.....