Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Have I lost my mind?

I guess it depends on your perspective. Icon_smile

Over the weekend, my wife and I were out doing some antique shopping, and we came across a Philco 41-280 at a nearby antique mall. My first thought was, "Do I really want to take on another console?" Well, guess what? It came home with us. Here's the breakdown.

The pros:
The price was right ($22), the cabinet, although very dirty and dusty, only had minor scratches and the original finish is still intact, it had all the buttons, the chassis is all there, the speaker and grill cloth are in immaculate condition, and my wife likes it.

The cons:
It's missing the escutcheon, as well as the metal band around it, missing all 4 knobs, the dial pointer and missing 4 tubes. One was the 7C6 (got one in stock), but the other 3 are the 84 and the two 41's (figures - the three expensive ones!).

So: outside of missing some expensive parts, this thing really has some potential. I used some hand cleaner on the cabinet, and the nice glow of the original finish came right back. I'll be placing an order to Larry B. for the escutcheon and knobs in the near future, and I'll have to go on a hunt for the escutcheon band and dial pointer. I may try fabricating a dial pointer if I can't find one.

The chassis will be my winter project, so I'm set. The important thing was that my wife likes it very much. She likes the rounded shape of the cabinet, which we both think is it's most attractive feature.

When I get it done, I'll need to figure out where to put it. I'll keep you posted on the progress.

Bill Hutchinson
Cottage Grove, MN

Sent from my Pentium II on the AT&T Dial Network

Hi Bill,

I find the only safe way not to end up buying radios is to stay at home and when there to keep well away from the computer. When we're out and about my wife is just as bad as yours. In spite of a house full of radios, rather than discourage me she'll egg me on and say "I love it" or "if you like it just buy it, you may never see another". Those words work their charm on me every time.

Paul

Paul,

In the grand scheme, I would suppose this is a good problem, right? Icon_biggrin

Thanks!

Bill

Bill,

Absolutely!

Paul

Bill I would think picking up a donor chassis would be fairly easy, The 41-280 and the 42-380 had the same basic cabinet styling but I think the 41-280 would be my choice since it does not have the two burl strips that are not real wood near the grille area. It should be a nice sounding radio because I think the 41's were in a PP arrangement for the output.

Oh, I would pick a 41-280 over a 42-380. Both are a pain to service, owing to all those rubber-covered wires, and the 41-280 is especially fun with lots of wires crowded around that little band switch.

But just let anything go wrong with that pushbutton band switching arrangement on the 42-380, and you're in for some REAL fun. Icon_evil

Oh yes, I once had to replace the entire pushbutton assembly on a 42-380 to get it to work. Was that ever a job! Not one I would want to repeat anytime soon. Ranks right up there with moisture in the oscillator coils in Philco 89 sets.

As for 41-280 donors, Model 41-250 has a nearly identical chassis. Models 41-255, 41-285, 41-287 and 41-290 are similar save for an additional tube or two.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

49Stude63 Wrote:Bill I would think picking up a donor chassis would be fairly easy, The 41-280 and the 42-380 had the same basic cabinet styling but I think the 41-280 would be my choice since it does not have the two burl strips that are not real wood near the grille area. It should be a nice sounding radio because I think the 41's were in a PP arrangement for the output.

Hi,

I thought the 41-280 did have the FAUX strips on each side of the grille? I have a 40-180 set aside awaiting restoration and it definitely doesn't have the FAUX wood. It needs cabinet and electrical work but somehow I've never felt any great zest to get to it.

All three models (40-180, 41-280 and 42-380) can be seen on this page at the radioattic http://radioatticarchives.com/archive_p2.htm

Paul

OOPs, it must have been the 41-180 I was thinking about also since the 380 has those large three areas of faux veneer. The 180 actually has veneer laid like a butcher block to give a dramatic effect at the mid-belt and the strips along the speaker bars are not the fake stuff from what I have seen.

Yes, the 41-280 has the vertical faux veneer along the speaker. This one isn't in too bad of shape; it has a couple of scratches, but nothing too terrible.

I need to order some caps before I get going on the chassis. I'll keep the group posted on the progress.

Bill