Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 70 Escutcheon

Hi,
 I purchased an early model  Philco 70 project which has a bakelite as opposed to metal escutcheon. Were bakelite escutcheons original on some models? It appears the only thing ever to this chassis was that the filter caps were replaced in the distant past. I would not think it was a repro.   Some years ago I did purchase a bakelite escutcheon for an 80 Jr at a swap meet and assumed it was a repro now I wonder.
                                        Thanks,
                                              Henry

Some 70 and 90 escutcheons were brass and some were Bakelite.  I believe the earlier versions had brass and they later switched to Bakelite.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

(08-26-2015, 05:51 PM)Eliot Ness Wrote:  Some 70 and 90 escutcheons were brass and some were Bakelite.  I believe the earlier versions had brass and they later switched to Bakelite.

Thanks for the reply. This 70 is an early model with a single 47 output .
                                                           Henry

I have an early 70 with bakelite escutcheon and a late model (new chassis without 24a's) with brass escutcheon. I know the one with bakelite has never been touched, the other one, who knows?

This link explains it (and both the 70 and 90 had both metal and Bakelite):

http://www.philcorepairbench.com/cathedralid.htm

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Thanks both for the reply and info.
                                   Henry

The model 70 only used a single 47 tube. The 90 had P/P 45's ,P/P 47's or a single 47.

Terry