Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 41-285 cabinet scratches

Looks like some kid drew with a ball point pen all over the front of this 41-285 then the Mom got the ink off, but the grooves remain. Can any of you cabinet gurus tell me the best way to deal with this sort of thing. The rest of the cabinet responded to the Gojo/Howards treatment just fine. The veneer here is soft it seems. 

Charlie in San Antonio

Wet rag and heat (iron)
Should help the fibers expand back out.
Very little water and test in a inconspicious place. sometimes it can turn the finish white.

Kirk

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Thanks, Kurt. It worked pretty well. The small, shallow ones are gone, but a few of the deep ones remain. I might try to fill with wax touch up? Darn kids.

Went at it again, and got a pretty good result. I was able to blend in some tone and you kind of have to look for the scratches to see them, now.

While I'm looking at this cabinet, I know I'll need to put some toner on the darker parts (like the bottom trim and feet). I'm guessing that is going to be a Van Dyke Brown toner?

Charlie in San Antonio

You can use the Van dyke and add coats as you feel necessary. I use perfect brown and dark walnut but they are pretty much the same thing.

Kirk

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6